Connect to office PC

Jean-196853 07:44 21 Jun 2006

Forgive my ignorance as I do not really understand networking. Having successfully set up a wireless network connection between my PC and laptop at home I wondered if there was any way I could connect my home PC to my PC at work which is networked? This is my place of employment not my own business.

Taff™ 08:08 21 Jun 2006

You need to set up a Virtual Private Network (VPN) and establish a "Tunnel" from home to work. You need to speak to your IT administrator at work really because it isn`t quite as easy as setting up a home network and may present a security issue for the work network.

click here for loads of background information but the answer is yes it can be done.

silverous 09:49 21 Jun 2006

Check out click here

We use their service and it is great, it is like 'remote control' of your work pc. It is relatively cheap - there are others out there I've heard of like it that might even be free. Easier and less of a security risk than a VPN (in the sense that you don't have your home PC on your work network as you do with a VPN so if your home computer is compromised it doesn't impact the work network).

silverous 09:50 21 Jun 2006

And it also gives you worldwide access to your PC, it isn't restricted to your VPN configured home-PC. You may see this as a security risk but you can lock it down to a single IP address etc. They are part of Citrix so it isn't some micky mouse product. We've integrated it with keyfobs to add another level of security on top.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?