connect ext cdrw via Sony i.LINK

dimercaprol 01:05 18 Jan 2003
  dimercaprol 01:05 18 Jan 2003

I have bought a Lacie d2 ext. firewire cd writer which was supplied with a firewire cable. I had not realised that the Sony Vaio has different sort of port and this cable is not fitting it. Can I get another cable and will this drive work with the Sony i.LINK port?

fsssh 03:06 18 Jan 2003

yes i think i.link is just sonys way of saying firewire. You can get an adaptor that a 6 pin firewire plug fits in one end of, which has a wee 4 pin ilink plug at the other end to stick in your vaio (i think its 6 and 4 anyway). maybe you can get one of sony, i don't know but i've seen them with an i-Pod so you can connect it to vaios, not sure if it was made by sony or apple tho sorry!

fsssh 03:10 18 Jan 2003

if you look in the specs at the bottom of click here you can see a reference to a 6 pin to 4 pin adaptor, so i'm sure they exist, i think you may just have to hunt a little!

temp003 03:27 18 Jan 2003

Yes, a 6 pin to 4 pin cable will do (which is the normal cable for laptops). With a 4 pin connector, the device cannot draw power from the computer through the firewire connection and has to be powered up separately.

-pops- 06:48 18 Jan 2003

Try here click here item number TJ68Y

Brian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone