Connect automatically to B/B

miss stella 21:37 12 Jan 2007

Hello,
I have just helped a friend to get onto Tiscali Broadband, we made it work Ok (somehow)but have to click on "Connect to Tiscali Broadband" each time she start the PC. It then stays connected until next time she switches on the PC, is this normal or is there a solution?
Mine was set up on
Wi Fi for me and is on when I start up.

Thanks.
Stella.

PaulB2005 22:05 12 Jan 2007

If your friend is using a Modem then yes it is normal to have to dial up each time you switch on. Most of these modems are powered by the USB port and you'll see that when the PC goes off the modem also goes off.

Your WiFi (Wireless Router) maintains a permanant link to your ISP and is powered from the mains so doesn't go off when the PC does.

Modems are usually only for the PC that is connected so they don't need to keep the connection alive when the PC is off.

Routers may also be need by Wireless enabled laptops and PCs so need to stay on when the PC isn't on.

squillary 22:27 12 Jan 2007

Right-click Internet Explorer on the desktop, select Properties, go to the Connections tab, with your default connection select the radio button underneath that says "Always dial my default connection". Then, every time you open Explorer dialling will take place automatically.

Alternatively, if you have cable broadband, no dialling ever takes place. For my part, when I first saw it happen on a BT line I wondered what on earth was going on. How backward. I thought "always on" meant always on. But you live and learn.

Dumping BT 15 years ago was the bet thing I ever did. It applies even more with broadband services IMO.

miss stella 20:01 13 Jan 2007

Thanks to both of you for the reply.
At home we have both buisness and personal laptops and use Wi Fi with a modem router which is superb as it is there on demand and never switched off. I was a bit of a loss as to why my friends PC needed a dial up to connect but all is sorted now, she clicks on "connect to" and we have set it up so that she doesn't need to enter a password etc. It still wont start automatically though.

Stella (with thanks also from Liz)

terryf 20:16 13 Jan 2007

Do a Google for 'dial up connect automatically' and you will find methods coming up

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone