Confused by documents and settings

Woody Ham 22:41 29 Mar 2009

I have been looking to do some house keeping and C:/documents & Settings/all users shows 24.1 GB of folders and files. However, when I go through the individual folders, they don't add up to that figure. Can there be hidden files? The folders only add up to 575 MB.

Also, what is the difference between Size and Size on Disc? There is a discrepancy between 275 KB and 884 KB.

Many thanks.

DieSse 23:07 29 Mar 2009

"Can there be hidden files?"

Lots - most prolific are often Temporary Internet Files. To view hidden files change the settings in Explorer - Tools - Folder Options - View.

To clear temporary and redundant files, use Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Disk Cleaner. Of for a better clean Wise Disk Cleaner click here (free version is fine)

DieSse 23:10 29 Mar 2009

"what is the difference between Size and Size on Disc?"

Disks are recorded in fixed length clusters. When a file is not exactly that length there is a bit of wasted space - called slack space. So there's the actual length of the file, and the length of the clusters it occupies (which, of course, is always larger - or very very occasionally the same).

Woody Ham 20:49 02 Apr 2009

Many thanks DieSse. I have used Wise Disk Cleaner and although some strange things are now happening (IE8 sometimes refuses to open new screens - so what I just use Firefox if IE gets difficult!), I have more space available.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires