Confused about TV cards. Please Help

  Viv-208691 12:06 16 Oct 2005

Hi there, Im a University student and currently have no TV or TV license. I have seen 'TV cards' for sale which I can plug into my Win XP Laptop. I have a TV aerial port thing in my room. What I would like to know is simply how much would it cost to get my laptop working as a TV? Would I have to pay for a license? Can I get a 'freeview card'?!

Kind regards, F.T.

  Totally-braindead 12:12 16 Oct 2005

The cheapest solution is to buy a 14" portable TV, you can buy a external USB connection box which just plugs in to your laptop like this for example click here and there are several others but for most you need USB 2.0 and yes you do still need a license.

  Totally-braindead 12:15 16 Oct 2005

Another example click here for the same money you could get a cheap 14" telly and a freeview box.

  Viv-208691 12:18 16 Oct 2005

Has anyone seen a license and card/telly bundle? Do these exist?

Thanks a lot for your help.

  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:44 16 Oct 2005

Has anyone seen a license and card/telly bundle? Do these exist?

No these don't exist,

if you buy any form of TV receiving equipment the retailer is required by law to give your details, name and address, to the TV licensing authority.

  pj123 13:10 16 Oct 2005

Fruit Bat /\0/\. Does that apply to Computer TV cards? I have bought 2 TV cards recently from computer shops. Paid cash. No one took my name or address. The receipt just says "Cash Sale". They were bought for others (not me) but for me to install in their computers. So even if they did take my details, would I still be liable for someone else not paying a licence fee? Same goes for a TV I suppose. If I buy a TV to give to someone as a gift am I liable if they don't pay the licence fee?

  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:18 16 Oct 2005


Yes that law should still apply The shops are breaking the law by not asking for your details.

When the authority is given your details it checks that your address has a license, if so you hear no more.

I purchased a wide screen TV form ASDA but the number of the address was misread and the old lady from across the street was sent a letter saying some one (my name) was not registered as having a license at that address.

  pj123 13:32 16 Oct 2005

Fruit Bat /\0/\. Thanks. That opens up a lot more questions, but as I don't want to hi-jack this thread I will leave it at that. Maybe I will start a new thread on the subject.

  amonra 13:35 16 Oct 2005

Dont bother with all the hassle of PCI TV cards, do as Totally Braindead said, go and buy the cheapest 14" portable you can. Or ask around the local charity shops, they cant legally sell you an electrical appliance BUT !!!

  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:58 16 Oct 2005

The resident(not the owner) of a building/ flat is liable for the license for using TV receiving equipment.

  Viv-208691 14:30 16 Oct 2005

Feel free to hijack if you wish. I think I have the answers I was after! (Conclusion seems to be I have to shell out at least £140 or so whatever). No suprise I can't really afford that.

Thanks to all for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires