Confused about DVDRecorder/Sky

MikeyM95 10:21 06 Mar 2008

Hi All,

I was advised by a salesperson that when i bought my Toshiba DVD Recorder that when hooked up i would be able to record from Sky whilst watching another channel.
For the life in me i can't get this working, although i can record straight to AV2 and it records whichever channel i'm watching.
I'd like to be able to record on another channel or maybe go out and it record 2 or 3 different channels for me (there is a programmer which claims to do this).
Am i missing something?
Thanks

MikeyM95 10:27 06 Mar 2008

oh, it's a TOSHIBA DR17DTKTB and has digital capability and freeview (so it says)

MAJ 10:49 06 Mar 2008

Generally speaking, you can only record one Sky channel (or channels broadcast by Sky) at a time and that channel is the one you are watching. You can record a Sky channel and watch another analogue channel (through your roof aerial) if you wish, though.

MikeyM95 10:59 06 Mar 2008

damn. i hoped this wasn't the case. the guy in Comet definitely didn't mention this.

So i plug in my terrestrial arial into the dvd recorder, let it pickup the terrestrial channels/freeview etc..

hmm, i'll try this tonight.

thanks

johnnyrocker 11:20 06 Mar 2008

you need a sky box with a hard drive in order to ba able to do what you want

johnny

anchor 13:04 06 Mar 2008

I am not familiar with your Toshiba model, but I suggest this could work when you want to record a Sky programme.

Connect your Sky digibox to the Toshiba "a/v-in" via the scart. When you wish to record, select the Sky channel, and ensure the Toshiba is set to record from the a/v-in socket.

You would watch another terrestrial channel using your TV. It appears to me, this is the only way.

This model does not have a timer, so perhaps there is another gadget would allow you to make recordings when away from home. I don`t know of one though.

MikeyM95 13:27 06 Mar 2008

hopefully, if i let the box auto-tune into the terrestrial it will pick up all the freeview channels.

I can then use the programmer to set times/dates to record etc.. (but only freeview channels)

If i want to record Sky i'll just stick with the AV method.

makes sense (sort of)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?