Configuring Outlook Express

bruno 13:01 07 Jul 2007

Since reinstalling XP yesterday I have been unable to configure O/E to send and receive e mails from other accounts.I have been receiving Gmail,Sky and Hotmail for years.I copied all the settings before reinstalling and put them back exactly the same as before. I have had several different error messages and they do not help me all that much.I get the feeling I have missed some vital process and am going arround in circles.Any help welcome.

humbug59 13:16 07 Jul 2007

You can slap me if you like. I'm no expert. But we've all been where you are now. All I can say is that your first suspicioun is probably correct. The details you have put in are slightly wrong. One letter out and the whole thing crashes (as you know). Can I suggest that if ANY passwords etc are doing an "auto complete" that you delete them and fill them in manually because I have known them to complete incorrectly.
Sorry and best of luck.

bruno 13:24 07 Jul 2007

I have accessed all the accounts with the details and then double checked them as I set them up in O/E.It will receive but not send at the moment.I don't what is suggested.I have set this up quite a few times over the years but never had this trouble.

brundle 13:25 07 Jul 2007

The error messages are often very useful in tracking down the cause of the problem - 0x800 etc, post a few examples.
Do you have anti-virus software which scans your email?

bruno 13:33 07 Jul 2007

Yes.I use AVG anti virus and their rootkit programme.I have zone alarm but switching it off did not cure the problem.
Message says,roughly,550 relay not permitted.Error number 0x800ccc79.I have googled it but I could not really fathom it out.

brundle 13:38 07 Jul 2007

That is usually down to incorrect SMTP settings - you must use your own ISP' SMTP server for POP3 accounts.
Do any of the accounts work or do all three fail? Hotmail uses IMAP which requires different settings, unless you are using something like Freepops to access it.

Stuartli 14:42 07 Jul 2007

Have you configured all the accounts to Send/Receive messages (from each account's Properties) from your ISP/LAN in the Connection tab?

Batch 15:41 07 Jul 2007

Brundle is right. The POP3 servers (for incoming mail) need to be the ones for each of the email accounts.

The SMTP servers usually need to be set to the SMTP server of the ISP that you are actually connected to (i.e. your Internet connection - broadband or dial-up). What actually happens is that your emails are routed out via the servers of the ISP you are connected to regardless of the email account that you are using (this happens as you are not authorised to access the SMTP servers of the specific email accounts as you aren't connected to their Internet service).

Stuartli 16:10 07 Jul 2007

That is the point I also made. In fact both the POP and SMTP settings for each account have to be correctly entered i.e. for each ISP involved.

It's something that's often missed with accounts other than that of the ISP itself.

bruno 17:01 07 Jul 2007

I will try each of the points you make.As I say ,I thought I had done exactly what I always did,but had the feeling I may have done something basicly wrong.

bruno 17:12 07 Jul 2007

All four of them fail to send.Hotmail,metronet,sky,gmail.All worked with the same settings yesterday morning.I made a point of copying them before reinstalling.I seem to remember reading somewhere that new hotmail accounts would lose the facility to be imported into O/E.I may have dreamt it.It still does not explain the other accounts failing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?