configuring email accounts in Outlook Express

realspain 13:35 25 Feb 2009

I recently upgraded from windows 2000, to windows xp. I have had a few minor problems with existing programmes which wouldn't work with my new system, but in general that is all sorted out now. Apart from Outlook Express 6, which I can't seem to configure to its old settings.

I have 3 different email accounts on Outlook Express, all of which I use from my website. Now however, I seem to be able to send emails from these accounts, but I am not receiving anything?

I have obvioulsy set something wrong somewhere. Can anybody help?

MAJ 13:40 25 Feb 2009

Sounds like you don't have the incoming server set correctly, in OE > Tools > Accounts > Mail, click on your email account, choose Properties > Servers tab. Who is your email provider?

realspain 13:58 25 Feb 2009

I am sorry Maj, but I have always been very green on the subject of exactly who my email provider is.

I have email accounts on AOL and I have email accounts on Outlook Express. My AOL accounts are all working fine, it is my Outlook Express accounts which are not working properly.

So I suppose, the answer to your question, is "Outlook Express"

Clapton is God 14:11 25 Feb 2009

So I suppose, the answer to your question, is "Outlook Express""

No, that's not the answer.

Outlook Express is an e-mail client - that is, a means of downloading e-mails from your e-mail provider's mail servers.

It is NOT an e-mail provider.

An e-mail provider is usually an Internet Service Provider (ISP) which, in your case, is in addition to AOL presumably.

Do you have an account with another ISP apart from AOL?

MAJ 14:22 25 Feb 2009

Or it could be a webmail provider like [email protected] hotmail.com or [email protected] googlemail.com ?

Clapton is God 14:26 25 Feb 2009

And if it is a webmail provider, you could have previously configured Outlook Express to download your e-mails from those providers via Outlook Express.

realspain 14:28 25 Feb 2009

"Do you have an account with another ISP apart from AOL?"

When I set up my website, up to 10 email addresses, came with the site. The name, where one would normally put in such as (AOL.com), is realspain.net

So is this it?

Clapton is God 14:30 25 Feb 2009

OK, so we now need to know which ISP (or other entity) hosts your website.

realspain 14:34 25 Feb 2009

"webatwork" possibly?

Clapton is God 14:39 25 Feb 2009

""webatwork" possibly?"

I don't know, I can't guess. You tell me.

When you have established who it is, visit their website (or telephone their helpline) and they'll be able to tell you how to configure OE to send/receive e-mails via their mail servers.

You'll also need to know the actual addresses of the "up to 10 email addresses" which they gave you.

MAJ 14:52 25 Feb 2009

Here you go, realspain. click here

Your incoming server should be: mail.yourdomain.com

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?