Configure router without ethernet cable?

robinw01 23:36 09 Jan 2006

This may or may not be a dumb question.

MY PC has no NIC card. I have a wireless USB network adpater installed. I also have a wireless router powered up and ready to go. Can I configure the wireless router without a physical ethernet connection between the pC and the router?

Both adapter and router are USR. I'm sure I did this on another PC with 3Comn kit previously...

Cheers

Robin

ajm 23:40 09 Jan 2006

I have a netgear DG834G that is connected to a pc through cable. also have a wireless laptip that i can access the router software by entering the IP address of the router software.

I am sure that it can be done, provided that you install the USB wireless drivers correctly.

Minkey1 00:11 10 Jan 2006

If you try it, and it works, the answer is yes !

It does make life easier tho to make the initial router settings via ethernet, no encryption or signal problems then !

If you've no network card - suckit and see ?

Mike

PS If your comp has no ethernet, is it a few years old ? What OS do you have ? I realise the USB adapter seems to have gone in OK.

mgmcc 09:07 10 Jan 2006

The problem is generally a "chicken & egg" one - you cannot connect wirelessly to the router because it isn't configured and you cannot configure it because you cannot connect wirelessly, hence the need to connect by ethernet cable initially.

One exception is the Netgear DG834G which can be configured wirelessly from the outset, but this is unusual.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?