Conecting Wireless laptop to 3Com wireless router

Greengo 13:40 13 Jul 2009

I am having really trouble at the moment connecting two of my laptops to my 3Com wireless 11g firewall router. It keeps saying " authentication timed out"
Both laptops have have configured with the write security (WPA) and network key. Please help?

mgmcc 14:29 13 Jul 2009

Try changing the WPA encryption key in the router's wireless settings, delete the existing "profiles" in the Laptops' wireless settings click here and then go through the procedure to connect again.

Greengo 12:50 17 Jul 2009

Tried changing the network key, still no success. Can you suggest anything else?

mgmcc 13:28 17 Jul 2009

Try disabling WPA encryption completely and see if you can then connect.

If not, as there are two Laptops involved which suggests the problem lies with the router, I'd be inclined to "hard reset" the router back to factory default settings and then configure it again from scratch.

Greengo 07:40 19 Jul 2009

With the encrytion disabled both laptops can access the router and internet. Do you still suggest hard reseting the router?

mgmcc 12:38 19 Jul 2009

If both laptops connect successfully with encryption disabled, then there is no need to hard reset the Router. You should enable encryption that is compatible with the Router and both Laptops. Normally WPA-PSK authentication with TKIP encryption should be OK.

Greengo 20:18 27 Jul 2009

Yesterday I managed to connect of the laptops using WPA encryption. I saved the profile on the laptop. To my suprise the laptop will now not connect again. I'm tearing my hair out can anyone help any further?

Greengo 15:00 19 Sep 2009

2 months on and I am no closer to resolving the issue above.

I have a OfficeConnect ADSL Wireless 11g Firewall router. I am unable to secure my network because what ever encryption

Greengo 15:04 19 Sep 2009

2 months on and I am no closer to resolving the issue above.

I have a OfficeConnect ADSL Wireless 11g Firewall router. I am unable to secure my network because what ever encryption i try to use WEP or WPA. My laptops just will not connect. I have checked and double checked the passkeys, SSID, everthing I can think of but nothing works. I can connect laptops only if the encryption is diabled. I am so close to ditching this router and buying another. Can anyone help?

Ashrich 15:25 20 Sep 2009

Last chance would be a firmware upgrade for the router , have a look at the 3Com website .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone