conecting a second computer.

castiel333 10:43 17 Sep 2007

Hi

I have two desktop computers in the same room. One of them is connected to the internet with a virgin media broadband modem and is connected to the pc with a usb cable.

The modem also has a connection for an ethernet cable.

If I purchased an ethernet cable and connected the second pc to the same modem and installed the software for that modem could someone please tell me if I would then be able to connect to the internet.

keef66 10:53 17 Sep 2007

Is the Virgin Media broadband via cable? If so, that's what I have got.

With the cable modem you have the choice of connecting to your first pc by usb or by ethernet, hence the 2 sockets. (NTL used to recommend using the ethernet option)

To connect a second pc to share the connection you need a cable router. Both pc's are attached to the router via ethernet and the router is connected in turn to the modem.

castiel333 11:00 17 Sep 2007

Yes it is via cable.

Thank you for your reply. I have read that if you use a router you need to instal a network card into the second pc. Please can you tell me if this is true.

keef66 12:05 17 Sep 2007

Newer pc's have networking built in, older ones didn't. If it has an ethernet socket you're OK, otherwise you're right and you'll need to fit a network card.

Both my pc's needed network cards fitting in order to share the internet connection, but it was a cheap and simple thing to do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?