IS THIS A CON?

Hetti 17:07 11 Aug 2009

Hi all
I have just spent at least 30mins on telephone speaking to someone who claims my PC has been sending error messages to him at his place of work his place of work being click here.
he told me my Pc had Malware, spyware, errors ect asked me to type various things into run box (cant remember exactly what it was) but it showed me a list files in which there were lots or errors,When I pushed him for ID as I was not happy with the way this call was going he did let me come of the phone to take a look at his website, I found it was a interactive support site charging for its services of course, I got 2nd phone call of him (witin mins)I told him I was not at all happy with the way the call was managed, and such calls would be a cause for worry and concern for people. he then said It would only cost me £50 for 12months support lol, the thing that got me was he would not say that this was a cold call to drum up buisness and scare lots of people into going along with him and letting him remotely control thier PCs until I told him point blank not to call me back again.

Has anyone else had any calls from this company and what do they know about them?.

norman47 17:18 11 Aug 2009

"Headquartered in India, Tech on support is privately held."

Con.

You can run loads of freeware software to checkfor malware and spyware.

Ashrich 17:19 11 Aug 2009

It's a con , there is another thread on this PC Advisor website regarding these people .

Ashley

GaT7 17:19 11 Aug 2009

Yes, it does look like a scam by all accounts. You did the right thing by not going along with it.

Seems to be based in India - domain details for the website you posted click here, but your link has an Oxford, UK phone number?

Also see these related posts on other sites/forums: click here, click here & click here. G

Hetti 17:44 11 Aug 2009

Ahhh well Im not alone then

I did ask for the chaps name and although he spoke poor english he said his name was Keven Martins... a very english sounding name, for someone who did not have a very good command of the language.

When he mentioned windows to me I asked him if he worked for Microsoft to which he said words to the effect "we are doing this on Mirosoft's behalf"
I wonder if Microsoft know they have someone trying to help them out, lol

Stuartli 17:47 11 Aug 2009

I've been getting calls over recent weeks asking if I need computer support - I just put the phone down.

They almost certainly work on the basis if perhaps one in a hundred falls for it, it's worthwhile.

Bit like scam e-mails.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?