comunication error between camera and pc running w

Need4Speed 16:16 22 Oct 2005

When I connect my new camera to the pc via the mini usb, it comes up comunication error. Ihave sent the camera back to the manufacture and they say there is nothing wrong it.
The advisor when I originally phoned the helpline for the camera stated that it could be my pc. It is 8 years old, running windows 98 but works fine (although it does freeze and crash on occasion)
I am sure that mey computer does not recognise the usb cable as it does not come up when checking for plug and play compatible!!

Please HELP, Will I really have to buy a new computer just to use my camera. The camera is A Fuji A345.

splork 16:19 22 Oct 2005

Is that Windows 98, or Windows 98SE? There were some issues regarding USB with the original 98.

Need4Speed 16:21 22 Oct 2005

Windows 98

splork 16:22 22 Oct 2005

Did you install the drivers that came with the camera? Perhaps the one's off the site click here are newer.

splork 16:29 22 Oct 2005

Sometimes errors can occur during installation, some devices won't work unless the driver is installed before the device is connected. Also, are you using your USB ports for any other devices? Lack of power from the USB ports can sometimes cause problems - disconnect any other devices while you're trying to sort out the problem.

Need4Speed 16:52 22 Oct 2005

installed the drivers from Fuji. Still the same problem. Nothing else is connected to the pc via usb.

splork 17:04 22 Oct 2005

OK, get your Windows 98 CD handy, remove the drivers, boot into safe mode (press F8 repeatedly before the boot logo appears) and then go to COntrol Panel/ System. Delete USB devices named Generic Hub, or USB Root Hub, and any references to your camera or Mass Storage Device, reload normally and let Windows reinstall the USB devices (this is when you might need the CD), then you'll probably have to restart again, finally try the camera drivers again. Just to rule out any conflicts. After that the only thing is to try it on some else's PC and see if it works there.

splork 17:14 22 Oct 2005

There is another way round it if it simply refuses to work on your PC - get a memory card for the camera, and a memory card reader for your PC, then you don't have to connect the camera up at all.
click here

Also,reading elsewhere, sometimes you can still access the camera even if the error pops up, just cancel it and see if you can see the camera as a new drive.

Need4Speed 17:52 22 Oct 2005

cheers for that. Do you know where I can get a copy of win 98 from.

splork 17:58 22 Oct 2005

Well if you look in c:\windows\command\options\cabs
or C:\WINDOWS\options\cabs\ and find a load of .cab files, names win01.cab up to about win50.cab (not sure how many with Windows 98) you can point the file requesters for drivers there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires