computer/screen freezing

march 11:21 03 Feb 2006

Posted a couple of days ago about this problem & thought all was ok! But, well back, again as its not resolved
click here

Have not removed/added any programs & problem does not occurred on any particular program or on any internet site. Computer can be on for minutes or hours & it will happen.

Its starts with curser stuttering slightly then either stops moving or disappears altogether off screen. Screen freezes & have to restart via modem, cannot shutdown or restart using ctrl alt delete. Have followed advise from 1st thread can anyone suggest what I can try now please?

Running win98, avg, spywareguard & spywareblaster & all are up to date, have run virus check & spyware check nothing detected.

Gongoozler 11:29 03 Feb 2006

Did you try my suggestion from your previous thread and download / install MBM5 click here, to monitor your computer temperatures and voltages. Did you also cleaning between the fins of the processor heatsink?

Wak 11:35 03 Feb 2006

Hi March, suggest you run the System File checker first.
Go to Start/ Run, type SFC in the box, click OK. You may need your Win 98 CD to replace any faulty or corrupt files.
Then RIGHT click on MY COMPUTER, select Properties, Device Manager.
Any Yellow Exclamation marks anywhere???
Is it Win 98 or 98SE?
See how you go.

march 11:55 03 Feb 2006

Gongoozler & Wak

did as you suggested no problems with overheating?voltages,cleaned fins & fan all as you said,

no problem with sfc & checked device manager & no yellow marks anywere, & have got win98se

Gongoozler 11:59 03 Feb 2006

Start in Safe Mode and see if any of these symptoms are there.

march 12:01 03 Feb 2006

will do & post back soon

march 12:20 03 Feb 2006

Gongoozler

you prob think Im stupid but do you mean start in safe mode then run sfc, & check device manager, got in safe mode then realised I didnt know what to do next!

Wak 15:01 03 Feb 2006

Hi March, If you wish to e-mail me via the yellow envelope I can send you a 24KB .doc file which is a step by step guide to troubleshooting all startup problems in Win 98, 98SE and ME.
I run 98SE and have found it very handy in the past.

Gongoozler 16:40 03 Feb 2006

I mean start in safe mode, leave the computer on for an hour or two and see if it still works. If it does we'll know that it is something that loads after Windows that's causing the problem.

march 17:01 03 Feb 2006

ok, thanks for that will do as you say & post back later.

march 18:19 03 Feb 2006

been in safe mode for about an hour & it still works,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017