Computer/Internet Disconnection

Mananin 22:25 21 Feb 2008

I have recently set up BT Total Broadband internet, previously having had BT Dial As You Go.

I have a desk-top computer operating on Windows 98SE and a new HP laptop operating Windows Vista Premium.

The desktop, having no built-in network adapter, is wired from the hub (router) by means of a USB cable. The laptop is wireless enabled and operates quite adequately from the hub.

The desktop, after being first booted up, will respond properly to either Outlook Express or Internet Explorer but for some unknown reason will, after an indeterminate time, drop out of internet connection. This appears to happen when I change Web sites but not when exploring Web site sub pages.

Also, when this happens, if I decide to shut down the computer and go through Start/Shut Down/Shut down/OK I get the display “Windows is shutting Down”.......but it doesn’t......it just stays like that. My only way to get back to square one is to press the reboot button on the comp.

The comp is obviously quite old and may have a lot of rubbish on it.
Any suggestions where to start looking would be appreciated.

Mananin

simmo08 22:37 21 Feb 2008

I would seriously consider moving to either XP or vista like your laptop.

If thats not possible how long since the Win98 pc was formatted? As much as i hated formatting win98 it could be worth it.

The second should be used as a last measure. Have you tried pinging the machine, your MTU settings might need changing. I have to do this on my XP and Vista ethernet connected network because only certain sites like goole work, but no others. Heres how you can:

Find the IP address of your gateway. If you're using Windows 2000 or XP, run IPCONFIG at a command prompt on the Host computer. If you're using Windows 98 or Me, run WINIPCFG on the Host computer. Either way, you'll get an address that looks like xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (where the x's represent numbers).
Then, go to one of your Client machines, and type the following:
PING -f -l 1500 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
(where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the gateway address you obtained in the first step). You'll probably get an error message indicating that it must be fragmented. If you do, type the following:
PING -f -l 1492 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
If that doesn't work, try this:
PING -f -l 1454 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
The numbers in each of these examples (1500, 1492, 1454) are the MTU values. Continue issuing this command with lower and lower MTU numbers until you get ping responses instead of an error message. The highest MTU value that works is the one you need to be using. If an MTU of 1500 (the first command, above) does not produce an error, then this solution won't work for you.
The next step is to configure all your Client computers to use the new, lower MTU as the default for all Internet communication.

Windows 2000 and XP:
Run the Registry Editor (REGEDIT.EXE) on one of your "Client" machines.
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\ Services\ Tcpip\ Parameters\ Interfaces.
There should be several subkeys under the Interfaces key; most likely, you'll find three. View the contents of each key by clicking, and find the one that corresponds to your primary network adapter; it will be the one with more values than the other two, and will have an IP address value set to something like 192.168.0.x.
Once you've found the correct subkey, create a new DWORD value in it (Edit -> New -> DWORD Value), and name the value MTU.
Double-click the new value, choose the Decimal option, and type the MTU value determined above.
Click Ok when you're done - you'll need to restart Windows for this change take effect.
Repeat this for each Client machine.

Windows 98/Me:
Run the Registry Editor (REGEDIT.EXE) on one of your "Client" machines.
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ System\ CurrentControlSet\ Services\ Class\ Net\.
Under that branch, find a key (numbered, such as 0005) that contains has TCP/IP assigned to the DriverDesc value.
Select New from the Edit menu, then String Value, and type MaxMTU for the name of the new value.
Double-click the new value, choose the Decimal option, and type the MTU value determined above.
Click Ok when you're done - you'll need to restart Windows for this change take effect.
Repeat this for each Client machine.

------------------------

As for the system hang, thats Win98 for you anyway. My guess is the network has froze.

Hope this helps

brundle 22:39 21 Feb 2008

Ditch the USB connection and use Ethernet, problems may disappear but if they persist it's much easier to troubleshoot. USB connection is a jack-of-all-trades solution for networking and involves more complication than Ethernet connection, which is designed for the job.

Mananin 22:57 21 Feb 2008

To simmo08
Thanks for reply. Quite involved and will take some time to absorb! Not sure what you mean by "client" machine...do you mean the laptop?
The desktop works OK as a computer if I don't use the internet. Hope that makes sense.

To brundle
Thanks also.I can't make an ethernet connection as the comp hasn't a built in internet adapter........maybe that is the answer, buy one!
Mananin

Mananin 22:58 21 Feb 2008

To simmo08
Thanks for reply. Quite involved and will take some time to absorb! Not sure what you mean by "client" machine...do you mean the laptop?
The desktop works OK as a computer if I don't use the internet. Hope that makes sense.

To brundle
Thanks also.I can't make an ethernet connection as the comp hasn't a built in internet adapter........maybe that is the answer, buy one!
Mananin

simmo08 23:49 21 Feb 2008

Mananin, Client/Server WIKI: click here

As brundle suggested, Ethernet is a better solution (buy a new network card off ebay), which in my case is what i use to connect my XP and Vista PC together with a shared internet connection.

If then you decide to connect with a ethernet cable to your router let me know i will help you with the setup if you have any problems.

I still strongly reccomend you upgrade the Win98 PC to a minimum of XP. Old computers as such struggle with the latest hardware, technology etc.

If you have any more questions do ask :)

woodchip 00:00 22 Feb 2008

I run a Dual boot 98se and XP on different drives. You 98se is having problem closing a program when you shut down, Two ways you can try first one. Go to Start Help\troobleshooting\Start\Shutdown Problems First go through that

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?