Computer won't stay on after booting up

fixmycomp101 20:38 22 Jun 2017

Hi, I tried turning on my secondary desktop after not using it for a few months, and it would not stay on. When I press the power button. sometimes it will turn on right away or take a minute or two but it will turn on. At this point, I can usually get into the bios and change things around and save. However, once I get to logging in an account the computer will just shut off. It doesn't always do it at the same time. sometimes when it's booting up it turns off and a few times I've gotten as far as the profile loading before turning off. I think it's an issue with the power supply but not completely sure. I have tried booting in safe mode and it still happens.

If you need more details please let me know. OS: Windows 7

Govan1x 08:29 23 Jun 2017

Maybe the inside needs cleaning. Especially round the fans and especially the heatsink.

Take it the time and date is correct in the Bios.

Try that till someone can give you better information. if it has been cleaned out lately just ignore my comments.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:34 23 Jun 2017

if its shutting down quickly then its either heat or PSU as most likely causes.

check it's dust free and fans are running.

MJS WARLORD 19:04 23 Jun 2017

get an air duster , canned air , from a shop beginning with the letter m ( no ads here) dont turn it sideways or propellant will come out , get the cold version , do it in short bursts as the can gets cold very quick and will burn your fingers , obviously do it with pc off.

lotvic 22:33 23 Jun 2017

Dangerous stuff that canned air. Don't set yourself on fire/get frostbite or inhale either the gas or the dust.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires