Computer wont start

kiddgame2000 12:17 06 Mar 2006

I first posted this on saturday evening but i have had some developments since then.

The problem is my computer wont start. I press the power button everything lights up as it should for but only for about 1 second and then everything stops.

Someone suggested the CPU could be over heating but i find that hard to believe if the computer is only on for 1 second. I phoned the technical support line this morning and the guy seemed to think it was the power supply that could be the problem, does this sound about right?

I thought it was the power supply myself but has anyone any other suggestions.

Thanks

Storik 12:32 06 Mar 2006

It may well be the PSU, especially if you have added hardware items such as another hard disk, DV/CD Rom drive or something similar.

Suggest you check the wattage of your PSU and get another larger one. Something around 400W +. Even if it turns out not to be the problem, a spare PSU never comes amiss and most are reasonably priced.

It might be worthwhile checking that the small front panel connectors are firmly connected and haven't come loose. Does your reset button work?

Once you have removed your case side panel, I would also check all electrical connections, including that to your motherboard.

Hope this helps.

Storic

kiddgame2000 12:38 06 Mar 2006

The reset worked before so i have no reason to assume it does not now.

I have not added a new hard drive or anything else at all. The computer is about 1 month old and has not been changed in the slightest in anyway. It already has a 400 watt power supply. It is looking more and more like a broken power supply.

Is a power supply an easy thing to change?

Storik 12:47 06 Mar 2006

"Is a power supply an easy thing to change?"

It can be a bit fiddly, but if you use a note pad as you dismantle the connections and make a note of where everything goes, and how, it should be easy enough.

Basically it is disconnecting everything attached to it, putting all relevent cables away from the mother board - I usually tie these together, lying the computer on its side and unscrewing the power supply. suggest keeping the computer on its side because if the only thing holding the power supply to the case is the screws, it could fall and damage the motherboard.
Once unscrewed, slide the old PSU out and replace with new one. The newer PSU's are very handy because some of them come with separate power cables, and you only attach those you use. Saves weaving umpteen cables in and out of one another and tying off the spares.

Storic

Stuartli 12:53 06 Mar 2006

...your system is only about a month old as you state then it will still be under guarantee/warranty.

It is up to the seller to put matters right (providing it is a straightforward failure whether of a PSU or other component).

Secondly, do you get any beeps when you switch on?

If so and you know who provides the Bios for your system (i.e. AMI, Award, Phoenix etc) then you can look up the codes and their meaning at:

click here

It will provide clues as to what area is providing the problem.

kiddgame2000 13:00 06 Mar 2006

It is still under warranty but if it was a simple problem i would have fixed it myself. I dont like the sound of replacing the power supply, my limit is memory and graphics cards.

Looks like it will be going back, its just i dont like having to give the company i bought it of the added costs of posting it to me again if i could have fixed it myself, but i suppose this is why you pay for a warranty.

Thanks everyone

Stuartli 13:06 06 Mar 2006

The cost to the company of your warranty will have been factored into your purchase price...:-)

Actually, atlhough it seems daunting, replacing a PSU is not all that difficult but, as it is still under warranty, best not to break possible terms and conditions which may apply.

Storik 13:18 06 Mar 2006

You are right of course. The computer should still be under warranty and your advise is sound.

Trouble is, I've just had a computer that had gone back to the manufacturer so many times that it began to resemble a ping-pong ball - and they stated there was nothing wrong with it. There was, of course, and it was a nightmare to fix, though it is now up and running nicely. :-)

Storic

pc_doctor 23:17 06 Mar 2006

Hi,
Is the graphics card outputting a signal?
If not it may be that some wires have got caught in the fan or something like that.
Also check the memory is fully inserted.
pc_doctor

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017