computer wont recognise usb printer

The GnoMe 16:53 17 May 2006

Hi all after a problem with a computer on the office network, i went to that particular machine to try to resinstall the driver hp 1010, i downloaded the new driver and installed it, but the machine is not even detecting the usb printer!
I tried unplugging the printer and plugging it back in as usually when you do that with a usb device windows detects it and helps you to set it up.

but it hasnt

can anyone please help

Ryan

Totally-braindead 17:30 17 May 2006

Firstlt check in device manager under system in control panel that the usb ports are there and working, second try another cable.
I'm presumming you have installed the printer software as the instructions tell you to?

€dstowe 18:59 17 May 2006

Printers are extremely finicky about being correctly installed.

They MUST be installed EXACTLY following the instructions given in the manual otherwise they do not work. Installing in the way that you think it should be installed is most likely to be wrong and could well be the reason it is not being recognised by your computer.

Remove all traces of the printer from Printers and Faxes in Control Panel and re-install.

woodchip 19:04 17 May 2006

I suggest you go into Device Manager after removing the Printer from the Computer, i.e unplug it. Then in device manager uninstall all the USB starting from the bottom of the USB list then restart computer and plug the printer in after all other USB's have been reinstalled

woodchip 19:05 17 May 2006

PS you could also try another USB cable as these can be faulty

woodchip 19:22 17 May 2006

If it's a USB keyboard connect a PS2 one

johnnyrocker 19:27 17 May 2006

printer?

johnny.

woodchip 19:33 17 May 2006

Sorry just posted that to wrong thread

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?