Computer won't recognise my USB stick

jolea 13:16 08 May 2009

This is a regularly used memory stick on my computer but now it suddenly doesn't recognise that I have inserted it into the drive, it doesn't make a noise when inserted and the computer asks to please insert something in the drive so it's as if its not there. I tried another stick which worked fine so am now worried it's obviously the stick thats faulty and have I lost everything on there!!! Please help.

brundle 13:20 08 May 2009

Open Device Manager while the stick is plugged in. If you see an entry for "Unknown Device" under USB Controllers, right click and uninstall it. Remove the memory stick, re-insert. If you see USB Mass Storage Device entries, one of which disappears if you remove the drive, uninstall that specific one and re-insert the stick.

jolea 13:32 08 May 2009

Thanks for your advice Brundle. I tried what you suggested but there wasn't an entry for "Unknown Device". What there was was a yellow/black exclamation mark next to one of them which I presumed was related to this usb port and when I clicked on it this message appeared
"Windows cannot use this hardware device because it has been prepared for "safe removal", but it has not been removed from the computer. (Code 47)

To fix this problem, unplug this device from your computer and then plug it in again.

I unglugged it and plugged it in again but still doesn't recognise it or shows that anything is even in that drive it's like it's empty. I've re booted and same thing.

brundle 13:38 08 May 2009

Not looking hopeful then - does the drive show up with a drive letter ? You can try something like Recuva to recover files from it if it does; click here

Kevscar1 13:41 08 May 2009

Did you plug it back into the same USB port. If you did unplug it, reboot and then try it into a different port and see if it is recognised then.

jolea 13:42 08 May 2009

No the drive doesn't even appear when you put the stick in! How can that suddenly happen when its been working fine for weeks? I will be gutted if I have lost all my photos on there. Thanks anyway

jolea 13:49 08 May 2009

Thanks Kevscar but I have tried it in 3 different usb ports and none of them recognise it but they recognise the other sticks so think its just died on me!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:20 08 May 2009

Refresh USB Ports
Use Drive clean up to remove USB device drive info from the registry
click here

then retry the drive

robin_x 02:44 09 May 2009

I have several microSD cards with 2 USB adaptors.

1 USB on my front panel, 4 on back of PC, 1 on external DVDRW drive.

One of my cards, only when in the front panel, gives a "Faulty" message from windows. (It worked for about 3 or 4 insertions when I first bought it). Anyway, I just use it round the back now.
I just love being on my hands and knees, with a throbbing torch in my mouth, all the time.

So....try it in one of your other USB ports or on a friend's PC.

robin_x 02:48 09 May 2009

oops sorry....missed you already tried other ports. Try another PC tho'

Kevscar1 06:42 09 May 2009

robinofloxley
I just love being on my hands and knees, with a throbbing torch in my mouth, all the time.

I've known women like that

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires