Computer won't read memory card twice

Pineman100 14:42 23 Mar 2008

I run XP SP2 Home.

If I insert a memory card into the computer's built-in card reader (my camera uses Compact Flash) it is recognised in the normal way, and accessible via Autoplay, Windows Explorer, etc.

However, if I remove the card (and I always use the Safely Remove Hardware function), and later put in back in again, it is never recognised the second time. I have to restart the computer in order to get it recognised.

Is there any way around this inconvenience, please?

Technotiger 15:03 23 Mar 2008

Hmm, nobody seems to have any ideas, perhaps I can get the ball rolling, though the only thing I can suggest is, perhaps if before putting the card in a second time, you give the contacts a quick wipe clean?

iambeavis 15:16 23 Mar 2008

I have the same problem, but only if I use the "Safely Remove Hardware" function - if I just remove the memory card everything works ok. I think that the card reader may be disabled when you use "Safely Remove Hardware".

Technotiger 15:27 23 Mar 2008

iambeavis could have a good point - I personally never use the 'safely remove' icon, I just make sure that the card is not active before I remove it.

Pineman100 15:42 23 Mar 2008

Thanks to you both.

I always thought it was dodgy to remove any device without going through the Safely Remove Hardware procedure. Can it not result in data corruption?

TT - how do you "make sure the card is not active", please?

Technotiger 16:19 23 Mar 2008

Simply by waiting and watching 'active' light on card reader, only takes seconds. I have never had any problems with this.

Pineman100 16:35 23 Mar 2008

OK, thanks very much. I'll try that - but perhaps I'll do it a couple of times with nothing important on the card... just in case!

I hope that doesn't sound as though I don't trust you! ;-)

Technotiger 16:57 23 Mar 2008

A very sensible precaution :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?