Computer Won't Perform Recovery

s99Raj 23:41 20 Oct 2008

I have an iQon desktop, and according to the manual, I need to press F10 at startup to go into the recovery. I've tried several times, rapidly pressing F10 and even hloding it down as I switch on but the pc goes straight into Windows XP as normal.

In the Computer Management/Disk Management I can the see the recovery parition :

Volume : RECOVERY
Layout : Partition
Type : Basic
File Syatem : FAT32
Capacity : 2.15 GB

So how can I get it to boot up from the partition?

Thank you.

lotvic 00:50 21 Oct 2008

If F10 (to go straight to the recovery option) isn't working for you -
Try pressing F8 repeatedly (do not hold the button down) on boot up this should bring up a menu of options and hopefully the Recovery will be one of them.
Worth a try anyway.

jack 08:44 21 Oct 2008

F8 is the BIOS standard for this function

F10 would seem to be a proprietary variant by that particular computer manufacturer
Probably associated with a built in recovery partition

s99Raj 08:52 21 Oct 2008

F8 jusrt brings up the usual Safe Mode etc. options but no Recovery option.

Is there a way of getting to the Recovery Partition and burninig the stuff there to a DVD?

Technotiger 09:18 21 Oct 2008

The manufacturers Recovery Partition, if actually needed because of a serious breakdown, would only return your PC to the very basics, as it was before your own additions.

I would advise you to forget worrying about that partition and instead, get yourself Acronis True Image. You should then back-up your entire hard drive, preferably to an External hard drive. In the event of your PC then going belly-up at any time in the future, you would very easily be able to use your Acronis back-up to return your PC to the state it was in when you made your back-up - this would include everything on your hard drive, all your personal settings and programs, the whole lot.

jack 12:05 21 Oct 2008

If XP or Vista

Go to Start/Programs/Acessories/system tools/System Restore.
See what you can make of that - simply follow the prompts

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:35 21 Oct 2008

Why do you want to gp into recovery mode as this will delete everything you have on the PC and return it to factory condition.

s99Raj 16:44 21 Oct 2008

I've backed up everything I want, and it's slow, seems to contain viruses here and there, and often restarts before coming on properly. Too many problems which can be cured by a destructive recovery.

lotvic 21:43 21 Oct 2008

May be that it is overheating because the inside of pc is full of dust and the fans can't cope.
Suggest you have a look and clean the dust out of the fans. (use a paintbrush or a compressed air spraycan)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?