Computer won't Defrag

Nuneatonian 05:10 23 Sep 2006

I have been trying to defrag my computer, I do this roughly every week but it when I have just tried to do it, it gets to 2% and drops back to 0. It advises me programmes may be writing to drive but I had nothing running. Told me to run scan disk on "thorough" but this doesn't seem to want to work properly and goes so far and drops back, I gave this about a hour! I did look at other answers to defrag enquiries on this site and it mentions something about running in safe mode how do you do this? Also turning off anti virus how is this done please and would I have to turn this on and off everytime I wish to defrag? I don't really want to download any additional defrag program on my computer as its getting on a bit! Annoying thing is it was working fine last week! I have even tried system restore to see if it would put it right. I have windows ME. Help!
Nuneatonian

terryf 05:25 23 Sep 2006

to run in safe mode, you go to start>turn off your computer>restart then while the black white text is running press F8 repeatedly, a screen will come up listing a number of alternatives, use up/down keys to go to Safe mode (then go and make a cup of tea/coffee) and eventually you will come to a login screen, choose to login as admin, you will be warned that you are in safe mode. Try Start>programs accessories>defrag. Or start>run>cmd then in the system window type chkdsk /f and press enter

terryf 05:26 23 Sep 2006

PS dont turn off AV while connected to internet, it should make no difference to defragging

wee eddie 15:54 23 Sep 2006

Turn off Screen Savers & Monitor Energy Saving, also disconnect you Internet Connection and turn off the AV.

How long since you have done a Defrag? If it is longer than 6 months you could be looking at an overnighter.

Run it in Safe Mode and do not attempt to use the PC while the Scan Disk and then the Defrag is running.

wee eddie 15:56 23 Sep 2006

Your Temporary Internet Files and empty the Recycle Bin before you start.

Nuneatonian 23:56 24 Sep 2006

Hi all
Defrag now working again. Thanks for all your help.
Regards
Nuneatonian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?