Computer will not start up & now K/B & Mouse dont

Tankie 74 12:07 27 Dec 2007

My daughter's 7 years old computer running Win 98SE and both not overused will not get beyond the first screen. It starts up OK but after some words about ID the slave drives the line follows: Keybord error or no keyboard present.
I took my keyboard to her computer and the computer was no different.
I brought the tower my my home and used my keyboard and mouse and it still was no different.
I connected my keyboard and mouse to my good computer 2yrs old & XP and neither M or KB worked. I put my daughter keyboard & mouse on my computer and they both work. The present situation is her computer and my mouse & k/board don't work.
Any thoughts on both the computer and now my K/B & mouse.

kindly 12:53 27 Dec 2007

I know its easy to say but how about updating the computer. You probably thought about it and the cost. You can get them for about £200 for a lower end one for you daughter.
I had a similer thing happen to me and i found it to be the little cable from the plug on the computer box down to the motherboard that was at fault. This really only takes into account either K/B or mouse. sorry not much help.

Tankie 74 12:58 27 Dec 2007

Thyanks for that, kindly. Yes I have ben thinking of upgrading for sometime and was to see about it this week. Been waiting to see in the grandaughter is using Vista or XP at school.
No doubt shortly there'll be a shift around of monitors, computers etc.

Tankie 74 20:07 27 Dec 2007

Tyhe problem of the faulty mouse & keyboard have been resolved. Operator error.
The problem of the computer that will not start beyond the first line is still live. Any suggestions apart from upgrading. Local computer shop is closed until 2 Jan 08.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:04 27 Dec 2007

What exactly is the error message on the first screen about the slave drive?

You could try unplugging the slave drive and see if it will boot to windows.

keith-236785 09:44 29 Dec 2007

Generally on an older system (and some new ones) any moving around of the computers can cause the connections to the hard drives to work loose.

remove the cover and make sure all connectors are firmly attached (pull out and put back is my method)

dont touch any of the motherboard components as the static in you could damage the motherboard, just the hard drives and maybe the floppy if you can reach to it.

try not to putt the cables out using the wires but if you have to then grip across as many as you can to minimise the "pull" on any of them, a slight sideways wiggle is normally enough (sideways as across the wide bit)

birdface 10:59 30 Dec 2007

Old computer.Check the air vents are not clogged up with dust and fluff.if so the inside of the computer will also need cleaning.Overheating may be causing it not to boot properly.

webbie 21:48 15 Jan 2008

Try the CMOS battery, they are usually a 2023 button battery and cost about £3 if it dies your motherboard losses all further instructions. When you replace it everything should restart as it was.
Jim

BUSYLISSE 14:14 22 Jan 2008

try a new hd cable ,they can die without warning thereby leaving an io problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?