Computer will not power up

tonynoarm 22:27 28 Jun 2007

My friends computer will not power up. I have checked if a fuse is present in the psu but unfortunately it does not have one. I have by passed the on-off switch to check if this was fauly - all to no avail. An after thought is has it been affected by lightening? Where do I start ? !

Strawballs 22:32 28 Jun 2007

Have you checked the fuse in the power lead itself?

skidzy 22:34 28 Jun 2007

I can speak from experience regarding a blown mobo and psu from a power surge possibly linked to lightening.

Your best bet is now a matter of elimination.

If you can get hold of a working psu,try try this first.

mrwoowoo 22:35 28 Jun 2007

this looks interesting.
click here

skidzy 22:42 28 Jun 2007

Tony if you have a local Maplins store near you,this is a handy piece of kit to have click here

Could save the outlay of a new psu.Just an idea and can be bought cheaper if you shop around.

tonynoarm 22:43 28 Jun 2007

Power lead is fine. I did have a spare psu but the motherboard connection was different so could not try this approach. Followed the flow chart and this takes me to 'try drive in test pc' - what ever that means!

Thanks for your suggestions so far.

Could a lightening strike damage more than the psu? I would hate to tell them to buy a new one and find that did not cure the problem. How much damage could be done?

tonynoarm 22:44 28 Jun 2007

skidzy - that could be a reasonable starting point - not expensive either!

skidzy 22:47 28 Jun 2007

" Could a lightening strike damage more than the psu? "

Yes a lightening could do,happened to me and blew the motherboard last year.
Though it did give an insight of how to rebuild the pc,this i done and its still going strong.

problem you have now,is diagnosing the fault.Like ive said,try the psu first as this could be the cheapest option over a new mobo.

mrwoowoo 22:49 28 Jun 2007

think it means to pop the hard drive into another pc to see if it still spins.

tonynoarm 22:50 28 Jun 2007

Thanks again skidzy - I did not understand the term mobo, it is now obvious!

tonynoarm 22:52 28 Jun 2007

even if the HDD had failed wouldn't the pc still attempt to boot up but say 'HDD not found'?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?