Computer will not play Fallout 3?

Baskerville 18:45 14 Feb 2009

Hi All,

My son has just bought Fallout 3 for the PC, we have three computers so thought that at least one of them will play the game, the computers we have are not 'gaming' machines as such.
The game manufacturers recommend that the game needs Nvidia Geforce 6800 ATI X850 minimum Video Card, my computer has a Sapphire Radeon 9600 Atlantis card, none of my computers will run the game, all three computers return with the same error message 'fallout3 has encountered a problem and needs to close' giving me the option to send or do not send an error report.
Two of my computers meet the basic system requirements of Ram and Cpu power and both have 12 gb of free hard drive space as the game needs 6gb free,
Anyone have any ideas has to why the game will not play, could it be the graphics card is not up to it?

Many thanks,
Baskerville.

User-1229748 19:06 14 Feb 2009

i'm not familiar with the latest games and the like but can you not apply lower settings to run it or can you not get to the settings either?

Stuartli 20:39 14 Feb 2009

The differences between the minimum and the recommended needs to be studied:

click here

PSF 20:47 14 Feb 2009

Have you got the latest Video drivers and Direct x 9.0c? Also load the update for the game click here

mrwoowoo 01:44 15 Feb 2009

The game is very buggy and suffers from the error you state.(Have had the same trouble myself)
First you need to download the latest patch that has been released to help rectify this.
It's the second patch down that you want.Not the top one.
click here
Plenty of advice from a previous thread.
click here

Baskerville 08:26 15 Feb 2009

the game may be buggy mrwoo but i havent even started yet im afraid, it alsways crashes on startup when i click play, the same applies for the Geck addon as well

Baskerville 16:35 15 Feb 2009

Thanks to all that have helped, it seems that I need a new computer to play this game! I have just been down to Aldi as they had some good machines in last week but they have sold out, they were going for £389:00 and I like Aldi Medion machines they have served me well over the years.
I'm starting a new thread to see if anyone knows of a good all rounder (Tower) that is about the same price,

I'm calling the thread 'Quality Tower Needed'

Many thanks again,

Baskerville

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?