computer will not boot

Billawa 18:31 14 Jul 2009

My main computer now tells me "Disc boot failure. Please insert system disc and press Enter". Initially when it booted up Windows loaded, the Welcome screen appeared and I clicked my name. It told me it was loading my settings but then said "logging off" and shut the computer down.

The last thing I did before the problem ocurred was to remove two Trojans identified by Super AntiSpyware. As far as I can remember they were located in a System file but the genuine article was located in the %Windows% file.

Now when booting up I get a command prompt after a screen of information. I have tried using the Recovery Console from the Windows CD but am not familiar with the commands. I have "fixed/repaired the boot record but there is no difference - same screen "Disc boot failure"

I am running Win XP Home, SP3 (when it works!) I begin to suspect that I have a hard drive failure as the computer doesn't seem to be able to find the C drive. Any suggestions or ideas for further investigationplease?

T0SH 18:52 14 Jul 2009

You can download and make live bootable Linux CD`s or create a Barts PE CD, either will allow you to inspect and test the file system on your boot drive if it is still accessible, even if you are unable to fix it at least you can save your data to another drive

Cheers HC

birdface 19:04 14 Jul 2009

Have you tried in safe mode.

Billawa 23:37 14 Jul 2009

Buteman
No way am I able to access Safe Mode unfortunately. I just get the same screen - "Boot disc failure". I have also made a floppy boot disc from my laptop which runs XP and that doesn't seem to help although it would help if I had more knowledge of DOS mode and its commands!

Billawa 15:12 23 Jul 2009

No progress to date. I have tried the following:-
1 Used Windows Repair facilty on the Win XP disc - no effect
2 Restored the complete C HDD (the primary drive) with Acronis TI - successfully restored according to Acronis
3 Booted from the C drive. No Windows blue screen showing Windows starting. Message "HTLDR is missing. Ctrl + Alt + Delete to restart". Restart gets to same point.
4 In BIOS Boot from C drive after floppy selected results in a blank, black screen.
5 Although the HDD is listed it appears that the computer doesn't "see it"

Can anyone enlighten me on the HTLDR missing message or suggest any other actions as I,m getting frustrated with having to use a very slow, old laptop which will only do one thing at a time!

InTheCity 15:32 23 Jul 2009

its missing NLTDR,
some suggestions
click here

InTheCity 15:33 23 Jul 2009

sorry NTLDR

sharpamat 16:31 23 Jul 2009

clearly whatever you removed is the root cause of the problem you clould go into the BIOS reserr to fail safe defaults save and exit then reboot

If you can access DOS you any be able to access the contents of your drive the fact that it initallt showed boot disc failour could mean either the hard drive or a connecion is at fault

rawprawn 17:37 23 Jul 2009

Causes for missing NLTDR
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:51 23 Jul 2009

On your good machine

First format a Floppy disc

Run type
Format A: /u

Then open Notepad and copy and Paste this

[boot loader]
timeout=-1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, first partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, second partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, third partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, fourth partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, first partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, second partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, third partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, fourth partition" /sos
C:\="Previous Operating System on C:\"

Save as

in Notepad as BOOT.INI

Then in search find

NTDETECT.COM
NTLDR

Add these to the floppy disc

you can now try starting your bad computer with the floppy disc

If it starts OK

then copy the
All the files off the floppy to the root of C drive remove the floppy and see if it will boot from the C drive.

Billawa 20:19 23 Jul 2009

Fruitbat
Thanks for your suggestion which I have followed. However, I now get a message "Invalid Boot.INI". Is this right?

This is followed immediately with "loading Windows from C:\". Next message is that the file "system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt. Please re-install a copy of the file".

I have found a copy of the file on my "slow laptop". How do I copy this to the other computer given that I can't access Windows?

Sorry to be a nuisance but it seems as if I'm within touching distance of recovering the other computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?