Computer will not boot

HondaMan 15:40 02 Jul 2009

I have an Advent T9 fitted with a single WD 160GB HDD. Over a period the installations have become corrupted and I decided to install a fresh WD 320 GB HDD as Master with a fresh Windows XP and applications installation, copying old files etc as needed.

Problem: Computer will not boot with both HDDs connected. Either will boot on its own, but neither will boot when both are connected.

Drives are set to cable select and the new HDD is on the Master connector. Advent have said that the computer should be set to boot from HDD1 with HDD2 as the slave. Sounds odd, but I have tried it with no luck.

Both HDDs are recognised in BIOS and new data cables have been tried.

Graphicool1 16:05 02 Jul 2009

Have to changed the jumper on HDD2 from 'Master' to 'Slave'?

Graphicool1 16:07 02 Jul 2009

I should have checked what I'd typed before posting. It should read...

Have you changed the jumper on HDD2 from 'Master' to 'Slave'?

HondaMan 16:10 02 Jul 2009

Tried that, no luck. I have tried everything I could think of and a few that others suggested - nothing seems to work. I have physically reversed the drives and cables, BIOS settings, and new round IDE133 cables. I have tried the (new) master as slave and slave as Master

Graphicool1 16:25 02 Jul 2009

I hear what you're saying but if you have changed the jumper to 'Slave' (the jumper ISN'T the cable)on HDD2 and set it below HDD1. your machine will only boot on HDD1. It sounds like both jumpers are still set to 'Master'.
You need tweezers to change a jumper.

Pamy 16:32 02 Jul 2009

If now using Master and Slave, are you conecting the master drive to the end connector on the data able?

Pamy 16:32 02 Jul 2009

able= cable

cream. 17:14 02 Jul 2009

optical drive and put the ide cable from that into the slave drive.

Or in other words try the other IDE channel for the slave drive.

Boot and see if it sees both drives in windows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?