computer wakes up at any time through the night

Migwell 07:42 06 Nov 2010

If I tel my computer to go to sleep when I am finished with it for the day, sometimes about 01:00 in the morning. When I get up, or even wake through the nightI can see that it hase come back on even while in another room as the screen will be lighting up the room. The screen / monitor would just be left to go on stand-by which I prefer rather than actually switching it Off

What has caused this and how can I stop it?

My laptop which uses Win7 also, is OK an will not do this.

HP Computer, Intel i5, using Win7.

Thanks

Ashrich 08:20 06 Nov 2010

Probably a program updating itself , or Windows checking for updates , something like that would be enough to wake a sleeping PC .

Ashley

Andsome 08:23 06 Nov 2010

Why leave it on over night. Are you so desperate for time that you cannot wait for it to start up? I have the absolute minimum of programs set to start running on boot up, and it is up and running in a little over one minute.

BT 08:30 06 Nov 2010

If I put my PC on standby during the day, sometimes it stays that way sometimes I come back to it and find it back on.
If you must leave the PC on you could just switch off the monitor, but personally I just shut everything all down at the end of the day. Apart from anything else it saves on electricity. Even on sleep or standby,or even if you shut it down, if you don't switch off at the mains the PSU is probably still alive and drawing power and costing you money!

morddwyd 09:33 06 Nov 2010

Wake up options are normally in the BIOS I think.

You could have a look there.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:36 06 Nov 2010

"Disable wake on LAN" and "Wake on Ring" in the BIOS

Ashrich 22:36 06 Nov 2010

Windows update , by default , checks at 3am ....
Ashley

Migwell 00:51 07 Nov 2010

Tanks Fruit Bat/\0/\ that sounds like a propper and sensable sugestion.

I will look into it in the morning
Migwell

Andsome 08:53 07 Nov 2010

It is suprising how much power a computer uses in the fullness of time when left on. Why not switch it off?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?