computer viruses

technician 18:49 02 Jan 2003
  technician 18:49 02 Jan 2003

Hi, while on the internet a popup appeared and said my computer has a virus and that they can fix it. The firm are eAnthology in America. Has anybody heard of them, are they any good or is it just a scam?.

VoG™ 18:54 02 Jan 2003
  Peter E 21:52 02 Jan 2003

You can pick the brains and experience of people like VoG™.

There are a lot of scams out there so don't be fooled.

The other day I was on a perfectly respectable site to send a greeting card to someone. Whilst I was waiting for it to load, a little box popped up (as though part of the site) and asked did I want my computer clock checking and updating with correct time. I clicked Yes and the next thing I know GATOR is trying to download on my machine. I managed to stop it but Gator is another little beggar that's got to be watched out for.

As they said in the TV series "be careful out there".

Regards

mikef™ 21:57 02 Jan 2003

Unfortunatly this is one of several companies that try scare tactics to get you to buy their software, most if not all are scams.

fosters 12:28 04 Jan 2003

Does anyone know about this virus I am running AVG which has the latest update 31/12/02.
I have also run trend housecall which says I am clear .
I am of low to medium experience on computers so nothing to technical in the replies please.

spuds 12:48 04 Jan 2003

Run a Google search, I am sure something of interest will come up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?