computer trying to boot from external hard drive

paddy75 20:51 18 Jun 2008

Just got a new maxtor external h drive problem is when i switch on my computer it trys to boot from it,pressed f8 on startup and selected the hard drive as the boot option but this dosen't make any difference it still trys to boot from hd,any idea's Paddy

grey george 20:53 18 Jun 2008

Is it usb? If so plug it in after you have booted and check BIOS might be able to disable usb boot.

paddy75 21:34 18 Jun 2008

how do you check bios when computer already booted? Paddy

woodchip 21:42 18 Jun 2008

Do the first suggestion plug it in after, reason its trying to boot from external is that ide comes before sata drive at booting

grey george 21:44 18 Jun 2008

you can't. You have to press esc. or del. during the boot sequence some where on the screen it will tell you but don't have long. You often have to read it the first time then reboot and do as it said

sunny staines 21:53 18 Jun 2008

Had similar problem when i plugged in a usb tomtom and failed to disconnect it from the computer when shutting down.

had to use boot floppy to get started again, plugged in tomtom and closed it down in mycomputer before removing from pc, then restarted pc and all ok try this with your external drive might work.

Marko797 22:21 18 Jun 2008

if it has an on/off sw, then when u close down, ensure it's switched off, that way it won't boot when u switch the pc back on. I had this with a Toshiba, but once I found the on/off sw at the back (and I remembered to sw off) all was fine on boot up. Once pc booted, sw on ur ext HDD. Plus this way saves u having to disconnect it.

paddy75 22:53 18 Jun 2008

Thanks for all your replies,i was away,to answer a few replies,no on of switch,i have plugged it in after the boot but the next time the computer starts it trys to boot from external hd,it has a duel interface firewire and usb,i tried the firewire port and that seemed to work altough it did'nt install the software,going to plug in usb to install software and then switch back to firewire to see if that works.Paddy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?