computer switches off when security scanning

arthurteacake 09:00 24 Jul 2010

C an anyone help?My computer switches itself off part way through secority scan!!!

johndrew 09:35 24 Jul 2010

What type, laptop or desktop?

What software are you using?

Is it going into Standby or shutting down completely ie power off?

What OS are you using?

johndrew 09:35 24 Jul 2010

What type, laptop or desktop?

What software are you using?

Is it going into Standby or shutting down completely ie power off?

What OS are you using?

Diemmess 12:22 24 Jul 2010

Sounds a bit like you may already have something nasty.

If you have a pen drive, download the free version of Superantispyware to the pen drive click here

Boot the computer into Safe Mode, then run the exe file from the download you saved on your pen drive.

Doing things in this roundabout way will give you the best chance of avoiding any defense measures written into any malware code.

Kevscar1 14:39 24 Jul 2010

go to control panel power options choose when to turn of the display. If it says 20 mins 30 mins that could be your problem.

ronalddonald 07:55 26 Jul 2010

send an email to arthurteacake arthurteacake

1. tell us the operating system
2. tell us the make of the computer
3. what are you using to scan the computer
4. get back to us asap
5. if you really wants some help get back to asap

BT 08:23 26 Jul 2010

Don't you ever read what has already been posted?
These questions have already been asked.

arthurteacake 09:36 26 Jul 2010

Hello,it's a laptop,using vista.I have scanned it with adaware,AVG,McAfee and windows defender but each time it switches itself off completely.I did have Norton installed but took it off,could it be something to do with that?

johndrew 10:06 26 Jul 2010

The problem could be associated with Norton, but as it is a laptop are you on mains or battery power and have you looked at the "Power Options" as recommended by Kevscar?

If you have a lower setting for turning the laptop off when no mouse/keyboard operation is sensed then it will shut down after that period. Most scans take longer than 20/30 minutes.

Norton is likely (I don`t use it myself) to give the option to turn off the laptop when scanning is complete; there could be a corrupt file which is bringing this forward.

arthurteacake 00:41 27 Jul 2010

Hi,tried that,still shut down,anymore suggestions

Kevscar1 05:52 27 Jul 2010

Delete all the security software. Then Install and try one at a time until you find which one causes the problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?