Computer in study but phone line in bedroom

BlueMoose 10:44 29 Nov 2009

I'm not very technical so apologies in advance if this is a silly question or in the wrong place :o)

Our main phone line (BT) is in the hall and we have an extension in the bedroom.

My computer is in the study connected by a phone extension running up the bedroom wall, through the loft and down the study wall - not a good look but was a temporary measure.

We are now redecorating and want to improve the look. I've looked at wireless phone extensions but as they don't carry ADSL it says you can't use them for broadband. I don't really want to use trunking to cover the wire and have wondered about the wire going in at the bottom of the wall and up into the loft 'behind the wall' but don't know how to physically get it there.

(I'm using BT Home Hub and have BT Vision too)

Any help gratefully received

Ford Prefect 01 11:00 29 Nov 2009

You could try a USB wireless adaptor like this

click here

Strawballs 01:08 30 Nov 2009

If you have a Home Hub then you have a wireless router so the use of a USB adapter is a way that would work for you.

ambra4 15:31 30 Nov 2009

Take a look at Power line Networking as wireless networking can be a real pain at tines,

lost of signal, poor signal quality, low data transfer speed, interference from other

wireless system close by etc is just a few problems that can drive you crazy

How Power-line Networking Works

click here

Linksys by Cisco Powerline AV 4-Port Ethernet Adapter

click here

Powerline AV 4-Port Network Adapter

click here

Netgear XETB1001 85Mbps Powerline Network Adapter

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone