computer stuck in windows xp start up mode

foxierkid 12:18 13 May 2010

I recently downloaded some microsoft updates , the program recommended i restart the computer. However on retart i got the normal start up (MS DOS) screen , then as normal the windows xp start up ... with the scroll bar at the bottom and my computer has been stuck in that mode ever since, and won't go any further (ie. to desktop start menu)

if i turn my pc off/on , it loops thru the same cycle ,then won't progress any further.

Do i have a Hardware/software fault ? how would i fix it?

Rahere 12:27 13 May 2010

Hit f8 button repeatedly on keyboard just after you turn on the PC, before it gets to windows, you should get to the advanced start up screen then select safe mode or last known good options - both should get you to the desktop and then you can remove latest update....then reboot and try normal boot

Good luck

VoG II 12:28 13 May 2010

Will it start in Safe Mode? Keep tapping F8 before the Windows startup screen appears.

woodchip 14:32 13 May 2010

As above if you can get to Safe Mode, then go to System Tools\System Restore and restore to date when it worked. Dates are BOLD that you can restore

foxierkid 22:51 13 May 2010

thanks for reply. but which ever option i take my computer still ends up in an endless loop stuck on windows xp screen.

i've tried (F8) safe option,start windows normally,debugging... and end result is the same.

i've attempted the recovery disc , but after the start up it displays starting image for this function but doesn't proceed anywhere.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:00 13 May 2010

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?