Computer StartUp

Darren_GT04 15:33 09 Jun 2009

For a number of weeks my computer refuses to start up when turned on.

I have to turn of the mains power...wait a while, then switch the power back on then turn the base on and even then it still takes about five minutes to start running.

I thought it might be the CMOS Battery but I just recently replaced it with a new on and the problem continues, its now to the point where certain programs fail to run smoothly.

Is there anyone who can shine some light on this dilemma. ANY information is greatly appreciated.

T I M B O 15:39 09 Jun 2009

Once u manage to get into windows, try this >>

1) Click Start

2) Click My Computer

3) Right Click Drive (C:)

4) Click Properties

5) Click Tools

6) Erro-Checking Click Check Now

6) Tick Both Boxes

7) Click Start

Never again 16:06 09 Jun 2009

When you turn it on are there any lights on the tower or monitor?

Does it make any beeps?

Are there any messages on the screen?

Can you hear any noises such as a fan?

Is there any sign of life at all, and if not why does it then sometimes start up - do you do to anything to make it do that?

Have you checked that your power leads have not been chewed by a pet?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:59 09 Jun 2009

Looks as if your PSU power suply unit is on the way out.

Darren_GT04 12:51 10 Jun 2009

When I turn on the Base there's no light on in the tower, no beeps and no messages. It takes nearly ten minutes before there's any signs of life.

But besides that NO, no life whats so ever. I have to turn off the mains power for a while then turn that back on...THEN turn the power on for the base.

My power leads seem fine, but is there a way to double check them?

Never again 14:41 10 Jun 2009

It seems that your problem is directly relating to power rather than any other component or software issues.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ is almost certainly right (as he always is), but you should consider borrowing some other leads and plugging it into an alternative mains supply or changing the power gang if you use one before you end up spending your cash.

Changing a power supply is a relatively simple and cheap procedure. If you post your make/ model or motherboard details then I'm sure that someone can recommend a suitable replacement and instructions.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:39 10 Jun 2009

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp.
3 The correct connections for your equipment

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply. Why weight matters click here

2. Power supply calculator click here

3. Correct connections
Some boards have 20 pin connectors others 24 pin
There is often a 4 pin plug required to power Intel CPUs
Molex D plugs for IDE HDD and CD/DVD drives
SATA power connections for latest HDDs and DVD drives.

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

Never again 23:49 10 Jun 2009

You are the man (unless you are female).

What can I say - except that I pay homage.

Darren_GT04 20:52 28 Jul 2009

I have just recently purchased a new power supply unit, yet when I turn the power on it makes a long beeping noise.

It's a Atrix 300w, ATX 12v power supply. It seems to work but I'm unsure if this caused because I may have connected the wires wrong or something else.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?