Computer starts up with all the options

s99Raj 22:08 20 Apr 2005

I've just formatted a hard drive and added XP Home to it, and activated it. All went well. Now every time whether I go to Start/Turn Off Computer/Turn Off or to Start/Turn Off Computer/Restart I always get the screen that starts off by saying :

"We Apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this", etc.

It doesn't make any difference which of the following options I choose next :

-Safe Mode

-Safe Mode with Networking

-Safe Mode with Command Prompt

-Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

-Start Windows Normally

it always gives me the same message when I next start up.

What could be causing this?

s99Raj 22:27 20 Apr 2005

any ideas please?

woodchip 22:29 20 Apr 2005

What was the last Software or Hardware you loaded

s99Raj 22:34 20 Apr 2005

No additional hardware was loaded before - it was working fine. The HD was getting clogged up with rubbish etc. so i decided to clean it by formatting and adding Windows XP. That's all that's on it. Not even Service Pack 1 helped. Before and after, I got the same problem and it's still there. All relevant motherboard, graphics, sound drivers have been installed too.

Chegs ® 22:38 20 Apr 2005
  woodchip 22:39 20 Apr 2005

Remove all but basic hardware and see how it goes

s99Raj 22:42 20 Apr 2005

Tried that, woodchip. I have just the m/b, onboard graphics and sound, RAM and a hard drive installed. Still same problem.

Chegs ® 22:49 20 Apr 2005

click here

Try "chkdsk /r" or "fixboot" from the "Recovery Console"

To get to the console,boot from the XP CD.When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press R to select the repair option.

s99Raj 22:53 20 Apr 2005

I don't see the point in trying to repair or to fixboot as it's a clean install. However, maybe the chkdsk will point to a physical hard disk problem, maybe?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)