Computer starting up in safe mode

shazza65 20:26 23 Oct 2003

I've been having a problem with my machine sticking when starting up, I reboot, then it re-starts in safe mode, I am running Windows 98 SE.

I found an answer in the 100th edition of PC Advisor which said to locate and delete winbootng.sts in the Windows folder. I searched my C drive for said file, but could not locate it.

Does anyone know how to cure this problem? I have given the computer a thump (just to make me feel better with the frustration) but this did not help!!

powerless 20:35 23 Oct 2003
  shazza65 21:24 23 Oct 2003

Powerless, thanks for the link however things did not go well.

I found the msdos.sys file, went into it with Wordpad like it said, but the only words in it was:

;sys

There were nothing at all in the file apart from that.

What was strange was it says, when you've found the file, to unclick the ticks from the "Read-Only" and "Hidden" boxes under Properties, mine only had "Archive" clicked.

I am now presumming that something is very wrong with the software, especially in light of when I first tried to respond to your advise, my machine froze (yet again) and I had to reboot.

Any suggestions??

alcudia 21:39 23 Oct 2003

msdos.sys has to be a minimum size. I cant remember exactly what this is though. It will always contain a number of lines of x's to ensure it reaches this minimum size. There is something very wrong with your copy.

shazza65 21:48 23 Oct 2003

I can't understand where all my X's have gone then, I must admit the "sticking" type problem has been going on for sometime, however the start up in safe mode has only happened over the last few weeks.

I am going to reinstall Windows 98 SE in the near future, with a view to upgrading to XP (because of pressure from friends) sooner rather than later but was hoping for a quick fix till then.

VoG II 21:52 23 Oct 2003

The msdos.sys file is supposed to be at least 1024 bytes click here

However I doubt if that's the cause of your problem.

Try Start, Run, type in

SFC /SCANNOW

and click OK

Have your Windows disk to hand.

Then try the same but with the command line

SCANREG /FIX

shazza65 22:35 23 Oct 2003

Gosh, I hope I'm not being stupid here but I couldn't get the thing to run. I went to run and typed in "SFC/SCANNOW" and clicked OK.

An error message came up saying:

"Cannot find the file 'SFC/SCANNOW' ((or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available."

Am I missing something here, should I have put something infront of the above command???

VoG II 22:38 23 Oct 2003

There needs to be a space between SFC and /SCANNOW

shazza65 22:48 23 Oct 2003

Double gosh, sorry for not spotting the space thing.

Did as you said, typed SFC /SCANNOW and got the following error message:

The command line parameters are not valid. The following parameters were not recognised: "SCANNOW".

What does this mean??

VoG II 22:49 23 Oct 2003

Try just typing SFC

woodchip 22:51 23 Oct 2003

Just as a temp check, rename Autoexec.bat to Autoexec.old

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone