Computer split

yattonharrytoo 16:50 25 Jan 2006

Hi Everyone,
Had new Dell computer in December. I copied some files from old computer into new one. I stupidly placed a My Documents [old] onto new computer. It already had one of course.

Now I find that the computer has I believe decided that there are two people using this machine. One is 'Yatton' and the other is 'Yatton Harry'. All the files are not only duplicated themeselves but have triplicated. I have Documents and Settings and two My Documents.

I am now not sure what proceedure to follow - what do I delete or not? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

ade.h 17:04 25 Jan 2006

Well, with only one user, I always use the Administrator account (the proper one) on my PCs, and if it isn't already available without safe mode, then I make it so. For example, my latest laptop came with this account readily available on the login screen without sfae mode, so there was very little to be gained by creating another account with my name.

Move all the docs that you want to keep, being careful to keep the right versions of course, into the Admin account's docs folder. This is in the usual place (C:\Administrator\Documents and Settings\) then make this account accessible in the normal manner - ie without safe mode - from the User Accounts control panel utility. Then delete both the named accounts and you'll be ready to create a new named account if you wish, or just use the admin account.

ade.h 17:06 25 Jan 2006

Doing it this way - deleting both named accounts and starting afresh - will be pretty sure to get rid of any lingering problems with those accounts that are a result of the current mess.

yattonharrytoo 17:29 25 Jan 2006

Many thanks ade.h

So, to start with I only had Documents and Settings and within that My Documents?

Sorry to be dim, but I am so far as this goes. <smiles>

ade.h 17:41 25 Jan 2006

Every user has a Documents and Settings folder, with the usual sub-folders within it, such as Application Data and User's Documents.

I made a slight error when I described the file path; it is actually C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.

ade.h 17:43 25 Jan 2006

Note that you may need to run "control userpasswords2" to have better control over accounts, particularly the admin account.

Skills 17:45 25 Jan 2006

The documents and settings folder is where XP stores all the information for user accounts of that computer so if you have 3 users you'd have a seperate folder in docs and settings for each one. Plus an admin and all users one.

yattonharrytoo 18:22 25 Jan 2006

tHANK YOU THANK YOU. sORRY I wasn't shouting - I am used to a larger keyboard and this is cramped.

I am sorry ade.h - I don't know a thing about control userpasswords2 - what is this please?

That is great thanks Skills, within Docs & Settings I have 6 folders, named like this: All users/Myolddocuments[webs]/Owner/Yatton Harry/ Myweb3/ Shortcut to My Documents. I do NOT have one called Applications though ade.

Should I now tidy these up first by moving MyoldDocuments and Myweb and Shortcut to MDocs?

Then - place everything I need to keep within these folder Documents and Settings?

Many thanks,

yattonharrytoo 18:27 25 Jan 2006

Hi again,
Have done a search of my hard drive for an Applications and I cannot find one. This is important isn't it?

ade.h 18:32 25 Jan 2006

Mmm, I never said anything about a user folder called "applications" Please re-read carefully.

"Every user has a Documents and Settings folder, with the usual sub-folders within it, such as Application Data and User's Documents." This means that all users, including those that are created by XP itself - and may or may not be hidden - have user folders that include those aforementioned.

If you would like me to post a screengrab, I would be willing to do so if it helps.

And one more thing: If you have not already done so, please enable the viewing of hidden folders. Thanks.

ade.h 18:35 25 Jan 2006

There. Done one anyway click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?