COMPUTER SPEED

THOMAS CROWN 01:50 03 Apr 2004

I HAVE HEARD THAT IF I INCREASE MY DDR RAM I CAN GET A FASTER COMPUTER AND IT WILL SPEED THINGS UP TIMES 10. IS THIS TRUE AND IF NOT THEN HOW CAN I INCREASE THE SPEED OF MY COMPUTER

hugh-265156 02:40 03 Apr 2004

if you are running xp then with any less than 256mb of ram it may be a bit slow in some tasks especialy if your processor is also quite slow and you are into video editing or gaming,digital imaging etc.

if you are running low on available memory the computer pages to an area on the hard drive that is then used as ram this is much slower than actual ram.

512mb of ram should see an improvement with xp.adding more than this(if your motherboard supports it)may not see that big of an improvement if you already have 512mb.

latest games benefit from a fast processor and a fast graphics card as well lots or ram.

there are other things you can do such as stop some programs automatically loading with windows and set to manual or disable any uneeded windows services to free up some ram that can be put to better use elsewhere see click here click here

You mean about overclocking...

To be honest, not something that in my eye's i would attempt if i dont know much about PC's purely as there is a fine line between making a PC run a bit faster and killing a good machine.

But you wont speed up 10 fold... you will probably see no more than 6% increase that though needs equipment that can take the strain...

hugh-265156 03:10 03 Apr 2004

just seen your other threads on this.

click here click here

movie encoding can be slow on lower spec computers so not using the computer or adding a faster cpu or more ram may help but if your computer is getting on a bit it may be more cost effective to buy a new faster model.

any time i have tried it on my fairly low spec 1.8P4 512 ram computer it took around an hour and a half to encode an hour or so of friends wedding dvd into vcd format using tmpgenc if thats any use.longer at around 2 hours + if im using the computer for other things at the same time.

computernerdiamnot 03:47 03 Apr 2004

Try this click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017