Computer Specifications

ackpal 21:28 01 May 2003

I'm not sure this is the right forum to ask this question, but I have an assignment on computer specs
A budget machine for a small office
A network of 200PCs for a college
I have to specify a suitable machine(s) for each and detail an explanation of choices in terms of cost, capabilities, performance and upgrade path.

I can specify a budget machine but no idea for the network or how to write the explanation.

Can anyone help?

LastChip 22:12 01 May 2003

This is a loaded question I am afraid.

Before you can sensibly specify a network machine, you need to know what the machine will be used for.

For example, a network machine being primarily used for office duties, word processing and the occasional spreadsheet or data base, can clearly be a lower specification, than one used on a network for CAD/CAM!

However, you have been told that it is for a college, so would it be fair to assume, some graphics, a fair amount of internet research(?), normal word processing and general office duties perhaps? Maybe you are in a better position to know the use than me, if your assignment is college based!

You also have to keep in mind, the budget that a college may be able to afford, and therefore, inevitably, there will be a compromise, between what may be ideal, and what is an affordable option.

Personally, I think you would be looking at a mid priced machine, with a good performance level, but not at the power user end of the spectrum.

The upgrade path (in my view), is a red herring. Computer's specifications change so fast now, that upgrades will not be an issue. Most organizations that need to upgrade, will plan about a three year cycle.

It will be interesting to see, what others feel on the subject.

Good luck.

eccomputers 22:54 01 May 2003

I totally agree. I reckon a machine for around £550 + Vat will suffice.
If the college wants a network, 200 users is quite high and so they want to use a server?
You will also have to REALLY think about security/virus protection if emails/internet is to be used. Imagine 200 computers on the internet at once through a 512k broadband connection, you will need quite a bandwidth. If I know students, they will be downloading stuff left right and centre.
I would seriously reduce the rights on the machines so the settings cannot be tampered with. I wouldnt mind a maintenance contract with the college, it would be a full time job LOL

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?