Computer slows down to a crawl

Dragon 12:05 04 Mar 2003

A friend (complete novice) brought round his computer for me to look at. It was missing a few files which was sorted by re-installing Windows 98SE. Everything was fine. He took it home and spent an our on the phone to NTL getting his broadband connection set up and proceded to use the computer for the next couple of hours on the net.

The next day, when he switched it on it said that it couldn't find 'vredir.vxd' and couldn't load 'msnp32.dll'. Acknowledging these allows SE to boot up but over the next few minutes it gets progressivly slower until it is almost impossible to even use the mouse (very jerky) and opening programmes like Control Panel takes an age.

I have tried trimming down the startup programmes to just systray (msconfig), and checked with 'End it All' so that only Explorer ans Systray are running. I've closed programmes down one by one using task manager but nothing helps. The interesting thing is that when I have Task Manager (Ctrl,Alt,Del) open the mouse goes back to normal speed.

Any ideas?

Aspman 12:19 04 Mar 2003

VXDs are often to do with device drivers. Have you looked in the device manager to see if anything looks wrong there?

Dragon 13:22 04 Mar 2003

I've got the .vxd problem sorted, I just copied it from my laptop. I checked Device Manager and everything is OK. On start up now I still get the warning about mnsp2.dll missing, which can't be a default 98SE file as I haven't got it on my laptop. I do, however, have it on my PC in the 98SE System folder I saved when converting to XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?