Computer slowdown possible trojan?

Prancer 17:03 24 Nov 2005

Startup shows this message "NT ON-Access Scanner Service has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are soorry for the inconvenience. If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost. Please tell Microsoft about this problem"...and more. Running XP, and recent spyware scan showed sexdownloader.cab which was quarantined. Original location given as C:\Windows.01. Now spyware scans negative but connects to Internet via BT modem (Broadband) and Connection Properties shows down- and upload activity but unable to reach my home website or any other.

Sounds like a trojan? Help please.

Prancer 17:09 24 Nov 2005

Have now done a Google search and found that sexdownloader is part of Coolwebsearch and will try to remove it with spyhunter. Could it be anything else?

Thanks

Prancer

stalion 17:56 24 Nov 2005

scan with a2 and adaware click here
click here

Prancer 20:50 24 Nov 2005

Thanks Stalion, I had tried these but they did not pick up anything unusual.

VoG II 20:53 24 Nov 2005

Coolwebshredder click here

Prancer 14:30 25 Nov 2005

Thanks for these, but I have scanned it with a2, Adaware, Spybot, Spyhunter, Spydoctor and CWshredder - none found anything. It still works very slowly and on starting Internet Explorer it begins to load but then gets stuck and doesn't respond while the internet connection is open and data is being sent and received. I can only close IE using Ctrl-Alt-Del and even then it takes ages to respond.

Any other ideas?

VoG II 14:32 25 Nov 2005
  Prancer 15:15 26 Nov 2005

Thanks, but Winsockfix did not help. It still runs very slowly, gives the same message and IE freezes on startup. In addition, the yellow light (hard disc activity) is always on. Any further ideas?

Prancer 06:40 28 Nov 2005

I've solved the problem after a Google search - it was a corrupted file which occurred during an McAfee update. Solved by manually uninstalling Mc Virusscan and uninstalling Security centre. At least it all works again, though still slowly. Thanks all.

nikef 07:57 28 Nov 2005

hi prancer,do u have ccleaner,its a very good software,it removes loads of unwanted stuff,it will help ur pc to run abit faster, i cannot leave a link to it as i dont know how to do it,but am sure someone here could do it for you,ccleaner is safe and recomended,just do a forum search

bof:) 15:04 28 Nov 2005

click here its here.

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?