Computer slowdown

UKBadAss 19:36 24 Jul 2006

Hi. I have got an Intel Celeron 2.8ghz with Windows XP, Geforce 6600GT 128mb, Igb ram (2 512mb sticks), 2 hard drives and a DVD writer. This PC is almost brand new (about a month old), and it is suffering terrible slowdown. When I play a game, the framerate will drop so much as to make it unplayable. This happens with virtually any game (Half Life 2, World Championship Snooker 2005, Prince Of Persia The Two Thrones, Pro Evolution Soccer 4,F.E.A.R., etc). It even sometimes happens with Freecell & Solitaire. The only solution is to restart. I have scanned for viruses and spyware, I have defragged and anything else I can think of. What I am slightly worried about are my temps. Sometimes my case temp will go up to 75C. Is this too high? My hard drives are also regularly above 40C. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

woodchip 19:40 24 Jul 2006

You are not going to get much out of a Celeron at Playing Games. You may be able to fit a P4 and the price of these comes down by about 50% this month. You need to know what CPU the Motherboard Will take

Stuartli 19:43 24 Jul 2006

75 degrees C is very high just for a case temperature (my AMD XP Athlon 3200+ only reaches a maximum of around 65 degrees C even on the hottest of days) - it would seem heat is the most likely reason for the slowdown.

Does the system have a front case fan? This should help to bring more cooling air into the case.

You can also check that the PSU is emitting reasonably cool air by putting your hand over the back of the rear grille; if it's pretty warm than it is not being cooled enough.

At a month old the system shouldn't really need defragging either.

UKBadAss 18:57 25 Jul 2006

The Celeron works just fine for what I need. The PC will take a P4, but that is extra expense and also I have only got a recovery disc. If I change the processor, will it still work? The computer has worked fine a couple of times for hours at a time, but I notced that those days were a bit cooler. Could it be the outside temperature affecting my PC? The sytem has a fan on the PSU and one on the side of the case. I checked the PSU by putting my hand over it, like Stuartli suggested , and it seems pretty cool. I have even got the tower out from under the desk (where it used to live) and put it on top of the desk, but it hasn't made any difference.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:10 25 Jul 2006

1. Software

a) Clear out all temporay files and folders -- use Crap Cleaner click here

b) Scan for malware spyware and viruses --Free Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here
MSoftAntispy Beta click here
Ewido click here

Free Antivirus software
Avast4 click here
or
AVG antivirus click here

c) Clean the registry -- Free Registry cleaners :-
RegscrubXP click here
Regseeker click here
TweakNow RegCleaner 1.3.2 click here
Easycleaner click here ( Use with care, It advises you to back up the registry first, this is a good idea as it cleans rather aggressively. )

d) Pagefile (Virtual Memory) -- Rght click MY Computer - select propeties - Advanced tab - Performance - advanced tab - Virtual memory click change, you can put the page file on a differnt drive (if you have one), click custom size and set Initial size to one and a half times the amount of memory you have fitted i.e. 512MB memory = set to 768MB, set maximum to double your memory amount i.e. 512MB memory = 1024MB click ok.
If your hard drive is full and there is not enough room for the pagefile this can slow down, freeze or even cause the PC to crash (restart).

e) Cut down on the programs that load at startup -- Start - Run type msconfig - startup tab- untick everything except for firewall, antivirus and antispyware

and the services that run in the background. click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:11 25 Jul 2006

Hardware

a) Check for errors and defrag your hard drives -- My Computer - select drive - properties - tool tab - Error checking / Defragmentation.

b) Obtain the newest drivers for your hardware
This may seem a bit obvious, but keeping your system's drivers up to date can give both your performance and stability a boost. Video card manufacturers release updates especially often, and these can often give "significant boosts" to gaming performance as video card in question is "optimized."

Don't neglect the other components of your system either. Your motherboard manufacturer may have released newer versions of its Input/output drivers for your board, and sound cards and other peripherals can also benefit from newer software.

c) If you are using Windows XP, it's a good idea to convert your system drive to the NTFS file system if you have not already. In addition to providing numerous security and data recovery improvements over FAT32 (the file system of choice for Windows 9x/ME and XP Home) it can also speed up your system slightly.

In fact, the only real reason for sticking with the FAT32 file system for any of your data is if you have more than one operating system on your PC and the other OS's can only see FAT32 partitions (as would be the case with Windows 98, for example, which is incapable of reading NTFS data).

To convert your drives to NTFS:
Right click on 'my computer' and select 'manage'
From the computer management window, expand storage and select 'disk management.'
Using the 'file system' column of the upper pane of this window, you can easily check what file system each of your logical drives is using. Make a note of this information.
Now open a command prompt window by going to 'start\run' and typing 'cmd'
To convert a disk to NTFS, type 'convert (drive letter): /fs:ntfs'
So for example, if you were going to convert your C: drive, you would type 'Convert c: /fs:ntfs' at the prompt.

d) Add more physical memory, this of course means opening the "box" and fitting a memory module, make sure you buy one that is suitable for your PC. Crucial .com click here will guide you through the process of slecting the correct memory. click here for a guide to fitting memory.

pistolpete 19:12 25 Jul 2006

The Celeron should be fine. I used to play Quake and Half-Life on an old celeron 366 with on board graphics, not great but good enough. I agree with stuartli, 75 deg is too hot. Only one month old? Take it back to the shop and tell them to fix/replace it.
Peter

UKBadAss 10:39 26 Jul 2006

Hi. Thanks for your suggestions but I have already checked for spyware, malware and errors and defragged. It made no difference. I have got all the latest drivers, downloaded from the manufacturer's websites. My drives are already NTFS. I don't need any more physical memory, I have already got 1GB. Thanks for the suggestion, pistolpete, but it was ordered from a catalogue with a no-return policy. For some reason , today it has not gone over 60C. In fact, at time of writing, it is 32C. Can anybody explain this? Does it matter about the outside temperature?

SANTOS7 10:45 26 Jul 2006

Yes if the air temp is already high you are basicly pulling in hot air which may stop CASE/CPU temp from getting higher but may not cool it down..

cadena 11:18 26 Jul 2006

I have read other messages with Computers slowing down while playing games, this has only been happening to me these past 2 weeks.
I want to be sure these "click here" downloading are compatible with my computer.
Mine is about 16 months,I have WindowsXP Home Edition SP2,I dont use "playstation" type games just basic games on a Neopets web site, hope you can help me as you have with other problems I have had in the past with my my previous computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?