Computer shutting off randomly

jadeclifford 03:50 14 May 2015

I sent my laptop into the company to replace the screen as there was a line down the middle that was annoying me but there was no problems, they replaced the screen and as soon as I got it back, the screen went very dark to the point I actually thought it was off and could only tell that it was on by shining a torch on it, I sent it to them and they said I had a fault and had replaced it, I got it back and within two hours it done it again, I got the screen back on by restarting my laptop which wasn't happening the last time, but it kept doing it and then it started to randomly shut down, this happened about 5 times in 2 days so I contacted them again and they collected my laptop again, this time they told me that the engineer had tested my laptop 4 times and there was nothing wrong with it, after a couple of weeks they told me the fault was with my motherboard and that they had replaced the chassis, I got my laptop back today and within 5 hours it's shut down again without a warning.. I checked my system log and it says: Critical Kernel-Power, Event ID 41, Task 63 I've done stress tests, RAM tests, and as far as I'm aware my motherboard etc has been replaced, I've no idea what's happening or how to fix it and I don't want to send it back in for another repair because they can't seem to find the problem either can someone help?!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:25 16 May 2015

You may need to look at the motherboard and cpu power settings in the BIOS, if incorrect they will cause this issue

Critical Kernel-Power, Event ID 41, Task 63 - just means windows has stopped without proper shutdown procedure and informs it to carry out certain tests on rebbot such as HDD checks.

Daisy_Michael 09:33 20 May 2015

Is this new or refurbished?

For me it sounds like a problem with your hard drive, perhaps it has some damaged areas in it or maybe it has building some bad sectors.

Can you visit your laptop technicians in person? I mean, thus you may determine whether its works at their end or if they are only wasting your time by collecting & delivering back in similar condition!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?