Computer shutting down when playing simple games

GroupFC 21:29 06 Apr 2005

I am having problems and the title says it all really. I have a young son (7 years old).He has a number of educational type games, which I imagine should not be to taxing on the PC.

Unfortunately when playing these games (sometimes after just a few minutes), the computer shuts down and re-boots itself. This also happened when we were playing some of the online kid's games at CBBC. It also happened when I was recently trying to do an online scan at Panda and also when I was trying to check my system with Trojanhunter. Other apps all seem not to cause any problems.

Anybody any ideas as to what I can do to see what the problem might be?

As usual any/all help and suggestions will be gratefully received.TIA.

VoG II 21:32 06 Apr 2005

Good idea to check out temperatures click here

specifications of the PC could be more helpful...

what programs are running in the back ground aswell as it could be more software than hardware..

GroupFC 22:23 06 Apr 2005

VoG™ - I have had a look at that but it looks extemely complicated - please bear in mind that I am still very much a novice despite having lurked on these pages for a long time! I will study it when I have a free weekend!

I do have Aida and that's showing mobo temp of 38c and CPU of 61c. From recollection these are in line with what they were when everything was behaving itself!

Now having said I don't know much about computers - does the graphic card (Nvidia GeForce4 Ti 4200) have a fan and if so is it possible that this has packed up? If it has would this account for the problems but then again would this not affect other apps?

Pilch - the comp. is about 2½ years old it has AMD athlon xp 2100+ chip and 256mb ram. There is quite a list of running processes (35-ish), but when we try to play the games there are no other progams as such open. Let me know what other info. might help!

GroupFC 08:40 07 Apr 2005

I'm bumping this up as I am still having a problem - I am at work at the moment but will have a look at all replies when I get home later - please feel free to contrbute!

Yoda Knight 08:50 07 Apr 2005

Run DXDIAG.EXE and look for any errors (do a search on your pc for it, its'part of directX)

Try another scan for nasties click here

GroupFC 10:00 07 Apr 2005

Yoda Knight - I hadn't thought about DXDIAG - I'll have a look at that tonight.

I have scanned using trend It did find WORM_RBOT.ATG . I do know that it was described as "non-cleanable" and it was in c:\windows\winmgr.exe. I have tried getting rid of it following the advice at click here, but with little success! (that was going to br the subject of another post!).

Do you think that this could be the cause of my current problems and if so any ideas how I get rid of it?

Incidentally, I have the usual stuff (AVG free, Adaware, Sybot) and none of these have identified this.

pk470 10:16 07 Apr 2005

Do you network share this worm finds it's way in this way as a rule not a nice one,if you can't remove via AVG and thats unusual for this antivirus software,i use the soho version not the free one,it looks like you will have todo a full format and OS reinstall.

Yoda Knight 10:17 07 Apr 2005

Try doing the scan in safe mode (with networking support)

click here to confirm the existance of this nasty with Symantec

GroupFC 10:20 07 Apr 2005

By Network share do you mean P2P? - the answers a definite no!

Please tell me there's another way other than a format and reinstall - I've never done it and the thought fills me with trepidation!

GroupFC 10:22 07 Apr 2005

Thanks for your latest - I'll try that tonight.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?