Computer shuts down when I try to play music

MuDelta 10:45 21 Oct 2008

I have used GoldWave for many years without problems but now, when I try to play and edit music files file my computer shuts down. This does not happen with any other programs or files. This has just started to happen. How can I correct this?
I have uninstalled and tried to reinstall the program and again, my machine shuts down. This does not happen when I install other programmes.
Another program (Audacity) plays the sale music files without problems.

Help!

MuDelta 21:34 21 Oct 2008

Since the above post I have been able to install and use the program on another machine - but I want it to run on my main one. So I still want help with this problem.

Stuartli 22:53 21 Oct 2008

Throw away your Richard Clayderman tracks...:-)

Try a System Restore to just before you started having problems.

PS

First line is an old joke on how you can substantially improve the sound of your hi-fi system....

MuDelta 23:38 21 Oct 2008

Stuartli,

Already tried that - no joy. Also tried downloading and installing latest drivers for creative sound blaster and the program worked but the sound was very poor. This suggests that creative is the problem. I will continue the struggle in the morning! exhaustion is setting in.

Thanks for your coment.

David

Demora 01:03 22 Oct 2008

I remember uninstalling a Creative Sound Blaster card from an old pc and although I used 'add/remove' programmes. After reInstalling the drivers I had the same problem. I ended up going into the registry and removing everything to do with the sound card.

You don't say which SB Card it is, but I would go to creatives website and look for the model and see if there are any extra 'uninstall' instructions.

D

dogbreath1 07:15 22 Oct 2008

It might help if you ran a registry cleaner after uninstalling GoldWave and before reinstalling it.

click here

If you don't do this, you can't be sure that you've got a 'fresh' install.

^wave^ 08:34 22 Oct 2008

is this with all music files can they be played with windows media player. what is your sound card. check the drivers for it.

MuDelta 11:35 22 Oct 2008

I have solved the problem. It was my sound card was the cause. When I downloaded and installed the latest upgrade from Audacity the programme worked perfectly again! Thanks for all of your responses. I continue to be a fervent supporter of GoldWave.

David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?