Computer shuts down after 5secs

confused technophobe 18:37 22 Nov 2007

I have just spent a happy afternoon rebuilding my computer. Abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9 motherboard, Leadtek NVidia 8600GT 256Mb video card, Corsair DDR2 XMS2-5400C4 RAM, Intel Core 2 duo E2160 1.8Ghz processor and Huntkey 500W power supply. I reused the hard drive from the original computer.

Initially when I started it up it went through the booup as far as the initial windows screen (flag)glimpse of blue screen then went into a loop as it restarted.

After that everything booted up, but nothing displayed on the screen. I switched the RAM around to see if that helped and now it shuts down after about 4 or 5secs.

I have taken everything out and checked the connections but can make no improvement at all. Can anyone suggest anything.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:09 22 Nov 2007

Shutting down that fast usually indicates an overheat problem.

Fan on CPU running?
Heatsink fully located?
Thermal compound used?

confused technophobe 20:03 22 Nov 2007

The fan is running, I am pretty sure that the heatsink is fully located and I am using Arctic Silver 5

I am surprised if it is an overheat problem as the computer since it's rebuild has never run for more than 20-30 secs - but then I don't know what I am doing!

Any more thoughts?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:17 22 Nov 2007

Sort to case on motherboard.

confused technophobe 21:34 22 Nov 2007

Sorry, but I don't understand this.

VoG II 21:36 22 Nov 2007

I think that Fruit Bat /\0/\ meant that there could be an electrical short between the motherboard and the case.

confused technophobe 21:40 22 Nov 2007

Thanks do you know how I resolve this oor test for it?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:16 22 Nov 2007

Remove the motherboard fom the case and lay on paper.
connect just CPU (+ heatsink and fan) one stick of ram and graphics card, connect PSU see if it will boot to BIOS error message due to lack of HDDs

confused technophobe 22:24 22 Nov 2007

Thanks I will give it a try and see if that works, but probably not tonight! I will let you know

confused technophobe 10:57 23 Nov 2007

Did as you suggested, but it did the same thing. My son happened to touch the power supply plug pins and got a shock off it! Any more suggestions?

TonyM 13:45 23 Nov 2007

I had a similar problem last time I did a rebuild. After looking at all the things you have tried I realised that I had put the heatsink back the wrong way round, and although it had clipped into place (with difficulty) and seemed OK it wasn't making full contact with the top of the processor - hence the very quick shutdown.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?