Computer shutdown problem

GBL 16:12 14 Dec 2006

I have lived with this problem for a couple of years or so, it started when I completely built my computer. I use Win XP pro and when I choose to switch off the computer it goes through the usual steps and when the power switches off it immediately within the second powers up again. I have got used to waiting with my finger over the power switch and switching it off manually at the same time.
I have asked this forum before to try to get a solution but nothing seems to work.

I have been wondering whether I could have wired the mainboard up wrongly. It is a Matsonic MS8147C series with the VIA KT 400/A chipset, socket A.
I remember that I did get a little confused with which wire to plug in where for the front panel connector, all the led's work OK but could I have it wrong for the power and reset??

polish 16:32 14 Dec 2006

it sounds like there is a setting within the bios that needs changing in the power options or similar no experience of mobo but manual should tell you

daxian 16:35 14 Dec 2006

hi geoffy...
the easiest way to find out is check the manual you can leave the reset cable off it will just mean you cant reset ....but if the power is on the reset ,then it should not power up .
double check the manual and connections .Dave..

GBL 16:40 14 Dec 2006

Hi daxian, I will try that in the morning as I do not want to power down just yet, but thanks, I never thought of that.

Will let you know what happens.

Have looked at the bios and it all seems OK

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:35 14 Dec 2006

Shutdown problems
click here
click here
click here

GBL 10:57 15 Dec 2006

Had a look at the connections this morning they are marked as Power and Reset so unless they are wired wrong on the case it doesn't look like that is the problem.

Thanks Fruit bat some interesting reading there.

Thanks to all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?