Computer shutdown

Solitary Recluse 15:50 12 Mar 2005

Hi, my computer has a habit of just shutting down and rebooting seemingly on its own accord. When I return to windows I receive a send error log request.

What can I do to stop this from reoccurring?
Cheers

Graham ® 16:46 12 Mar 2005

You're not the only one.

Open System in Control Panel.

On the Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.

Under System Failure, select the check boxes that correspond to the actions you want Windows to perform if a Stop error occurs.

You want to Write an event, but not Automatically reboot.

Now you will get an error message and an entry in Event Viewer.

Solitary Recluse 18:26 13 Mar 2005

Cheers Graham, but can you tell me why my computer just reboots itself? Software problem?

Graham ® 20:07 13 Mar 2005

Windows has shut down to protect itself. There are many causes for this. If you follow my suggestion, an entry will be made in the Event Viewer which will indicate the cause and allow you to investigate.

i had the same problem. i had a gigabyte ga7n-400pro2 rev2.0. 2x512mb ddr500 crucila ballistix, msi nx6600gt @ 550/1100mhz and my old faithfull 3200+barton. i changed the powersupply. changed my broadband router, channged the ram... iv now got 2x512mb ddr400 crucial ballistix. found out that the motherboard was up the shoot! so i sent it back to ebuyer!

VoG II 20:41 13 Mar 2005

CPU overheating is a common cause. Measure its temperature using click here

Report back your CPU and the temperature. If you don't know what CPU you have click here

Solitary Recluse 22:31 14 Mar 2005

Graham: I have followed your instructions and I find under
Application: 750 events
Security: 1800 events
System: 2600 events
Is that normal? Most of the Application events relate to ESENT but there are also a few errors relating to an Application Error.

VoG:
Processor:
3.20 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache

As for the temperatures:
Censor 1: 9
Censor 2: 95
Censor 3: 47

After following the instructions and checking the temperature an alarm went off and now the fan is going like crazy. How to proceed?

Thanks

Graham ® 22:42 14 Mar 2005

Look for events with a white cross on a red button - Errors. Click to highlight, Action, Properties.

This may reveal the problem area.

Solitary Recluse 23:50 14 Mar 2005

Thanks Graham. But im concerned with the fan, everytime I use MBM5 to measure the temperature the fan never stops...why?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?