Computer shut itself down and now won't turn on?

crypto6 06:55 17 Dec 2014

I recently upgraded the CPU yesterday and the computer was running in perfect condition yesterday and today. I was playing a game and about a minute after I was done playing the game and was exited onto my desktop... my computer powered off.

So I waited about 30 seconds and turned it back on... it didn't turn on. The speaker that will beep never beeped- and the only thing that happens is the LED lights will dimly turn on. I had to turn my PC off by flicking the switch on the power box in the back. But no display- no nothing. The only fan that will turn when it is on is the rear fan and it barely spins. Aside from that- only LED lights from my fans will turn on and its dim. Is it a power box failure?

My computer is custom built!

NEWEST CPU: AMD FX 8350 (Previous one was a 6200) Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Spot 16GB Storage: WD RE2-GP 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5 Case: Sentey GS-6400 Arvina ATX Full Tower Windows 7 Home Premium

I only know my power supply is 550W. I had a PC repair place swap the one I have now with one that was defective back when I was building the thing and had issues.

onthelimit1 08:44 17 Dec 2014

I'd try a new PCU first. Also double check that the heat sink on the CPU is properly seated and has thermal paste between it and the CPU itself.

kylie23 10:19 17 Dec 2014

This is a funny issue but I have experienced it too. I felt crazy during that time and I wondered what gone wrong.It happened several times until I not longer turned on. The technician replaced the power supply that fixed the issue permanently.

onthelimit1 11:20 17 Dec 2014

Finger trouble - for PCU read PSU!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?