computer selects websites for me!

TN 20:45 19 Aug 2009

I do not know how I get the weird problems bgut this is my best yet! When I select or type in a web address sometimes the page loads sometimes it comes up with an error page. Yes I AM typing in the correct address and this happens when I click on a log on icon in an email etc. This is happening in Opera and IE 8. I am runnig Windows XP SP3 with a 500 GB Hard Disk and 2 GB RAM. There seems to be no reason which sites I can get to. I can get Daily Mail but not Daily Telegraph. I can ge AShampoo but not Comodo and I cannot get any single Microsoft site! I have tried turning off my Firewall - still the same. I am using a BT Hub and also have reset this - still the same. Please please have you any idea why this is happoening and how mdo I correct it. I hjavge just breinstalled my computer after cleaning the hard drive and, of course, I cannot reach Microsoft to Authenticate Windows or Office!

rdave13 21:25 19 Aug 2009

If you're using a BT hub then it will have a hardware firewall. If you have Comodo firewall then right click the icon in system tray and click exit. Next go to add/remove and uninstall it. Reboot and reinstate windows' own firewall.
Download, update and run the free versions of these;
click here

click here

TN 09:13 20 Aug 2009

Thanks rdave13 - I should have mentioned that I am experiencing exactly the same problem when using a Sagem router! So I am sure it cannot be the Firewall. Even if it was I never heard of a firwall deciding which sites I would be allowed tro visit. This just does not make any sense to me. I should also mention that the two links you gave were not accessible - they also resulted in Error message!!!

birdface 09:19 20 Aug 2009

Looks like you may have problems.Sites open Ok for me.
See if this one opens it is a pay for program but you get a months trial and it will remove anything that it finds.

click here

it may ask for payment ignore it and carry on with the scan.This program may not clear everything but it should allow you to download and run any other security programs that may be needed.

rdave13 09:42 20 Aug 2009

I didn't say that the firewall redirected your urls.
Get someone to download Dr Web on to a flash drive and run from that. See what it finds and delete.
click here

TN 07:48 22 Aug 2009

Thanks to you all! I ran Dr Web and found 6 Trojans and 354 programmes infected with Virut!
Got computer cleaned and I can access all sites now - I cannot understand how I got so infected as I use an up-to-date firewall and virus checker!
Again many sincere thanks for all help and suggestions

rdave13 08:05 22 Aug 2009

Doesn't matter what kind of security you have sometimes. A web page might contain some bad links in an advert or something similar and you could be redirected unknowingly. An extra aid to security that I find good is WOT. It's available for firefox and IE.
click here
Glad you're sorted.

birdface 11:18 22 Aug 2009

[I use an up-to-date firewall and virus checker!]
That may have been ok about 8 years ago but not today.

Like Arnold says you will be back.

woodchip 15:05 22 Aug 2009

Two things spring to mind Firewall, and or Hosts File. You have one of these even if you did not download one of the net. And you Firewall or AV may have put addresses into the Host File to block them. Search for HOST then open it in Notepad to read the list. You can Edit by adding or removing addresses then resave

woodchip 15:10 22 Aug 2009

Just checked XP its HOST.MVP

If its the original file there will not be many in it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?